Highlighted

I have the MORE everything plan. Can we switch to a prepaid plan?

Rackinashzure

So we have the MORE everything plan and currently making payments on our Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Our contract ends in September, I believe. Can we switch to a prepaid plan while making payments on our phones? Or, do we have to pay off the phones before we can switch?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: I have the MORE everything plan. Can we switch to a prepaid plan?

Weth
Sr. Leader

Let's put this another way - pay off your phones, which you would need to do if you go to prepaid anyway.

With prepaid - 5 GB x 2 lines = $60 per line or $120

Stay with postpaid with phones paid off on Verizon Plan

2 lines with $20 access fee each line = $40

Then choose data:

3GB shared +$45   TOTAL = $85

6 GB shared +$60   TOTAL = $100

12 GB shared $+80  TOTAL =$120

So, if you go with 3 or 6 GB total shared, post pay will be cheaper than prepay.  And if you go with 12 GB, or 6 GB per line, that is the same price as prepay, but you get an extra 2 GB of data.

I would reconsider your plans.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can help to provide clarification on this point, Rackinashzure. I am wondering though, what is making you consider switching to prepaid? If you were to switch to a prepaid account, the device would have to be paid off in full at that time, as your post-paid account will be closed.

MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Rackinashzure

Thank for the response!

Well, for one: it's cheaper. We want to get internet in our home and if we have that then it would help with data for the phones. But looking into prepaid, I'm guessing it would be roughly about $130 a month with 5gb of data instead of $250 with 20gb of data. Internet packages can be about $60 (ballpark estimate); we will save about $60 or $70 a month.

I'm more for saving. Otherwise, we may switch to another carrier with lower prices.

Also, thanks for the response for the device payment.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Why are you comparing a 5GB prepaid data plan with a 20GB postpaid plan? Why not simply lower your postpaid allowance? 6GB on the Verizon Plan is $60/month. With your line access fee it should not be any higher than the $130 you say it would cost on prepaid.

0 Likes

Rackinashzure

One is for my phone and the other is my husband's. Also we may just stop contracts. We mainly use our data when we are home and plus we are getting computers so that takes care of the data with the internet.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

5GB for your phone and 20GB for your husband's phone???

Regardless, if you are simply getting broadband in your home which is the place you say you use the most data, why not simply lower your data allowance to something more reasonable?

You don't need to be on a contract to be on a postpaid account.

0 Likes

Rackinashzure

OMG, what I meant was we both are going to switch to prepaid, possibly.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Yes, I understand you are both considering switching to prepaid, I just don't understand why you are ALSO not considering simply lowering your monthly data allowance to what you would have if you DO switch to prepaid.

You say you are thinking of switching to a 5 GB prepaid data allowance from a 20 GB postpaid data allowance. You can ALSO switch to a 6 GB postpaid data allowance without leaving your postpaid plan AND your monthly postpaid cost would drop from the $250 you say you are spending.

You say you are comparing the cost on a 20 GB postpaid plan with the cost of a 5 GB prepaid plan. I am just wondering why you are not comparing the cost on a 6 GB postpaid plan with the cost of a 5 GB prepaid plan??? You are comparing apples to oranges when you should be comparing apples to apples.

If you switch to a 6 GB postpaid data allowance from a 20 GB postpaid data allowance, you will ALSO see quite a bit of savings.Smiley Happy

Weth
Sr. Leader

Let's put this another way - pay off your phones, which you would need to do if you go to prepaid anyway.

With prepaid - 5 GB x 2 lines = $60 per line or $120

Stay with postpaid with phones paid off on Verizon Plan

2 lines with $20 access fee each line = $40

Then choose data:

3GB shared +$45   TOTAL = $85

6 GB shared +$60   TOTAL = $100

12 GB shared $+80  TOTAL =$120

So, if you go with 3 or 6 GB total shared, post pay will be cheaper than prepay.  And if you go with 12 GB, or 6 GB per line, that is the same price as prepay, but you get an extra 2 GB of data.

I would reconsider your plans.

View solution in original post