I got a call from spoofed 800-922-0204 Fraud Department

TinaB8

I was called by a 'robo' call, with caller ID showing Verizon Wireless.  They said there was fraud on my account, and asked if I was the owner of the account.  I said, YES, then they asked for last 4 of social, not all of the social, just last 4.  I gave it to them.  Then they asked for my PIN for MYVerizon account.  I kept saying "representative" hoping they would transfer me.  Robo Voice then said, they were transferring me to the Fraud Dept.  I waited, and waited at least 7 minutes, then heard the "robo" voice say "goodbye" ... That was weird, I thought.  I called Verizon Wireless, when I got home, and they said there's been NO FRAUDULENT activity on my account.  I got scammed... I'm so mad that Verizon Wireless wasn't able to stop their own number from being spoofed.  GRRRRR...  I called the credit bureaus and put a CREDIT ALERT on my accounts for 7 years.  I'm so afraid the scammers will try to do something criminal.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: I got a call from spoofed 800-922-0204 Fraud Department

Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the sitaution as we greatly value the security of your accaount. I can assure you we are doing everything currently in our power to combat robo-calls however this illegal activity cannot be fully prevented at this time. We will use your feedback to continue improving the systems we have in place as much as possible.    -  YaleK_VZW

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We are happy to see that this did not cause any issues with your account. Thank you for providing that information and letting us know. This is never what we want our customers to go through and will continue to work on our account security. Thank you again for letting us know. JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

Did you also change your My Verizon PIN and check your My Verizon account to ensure that all looks as it should?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

I apologize for the sitaution as we greatly value the security of your accaount. I can assure you we are doing everything currently in our power to combat robo-calls however this illegal activity cannot be fully prevented at this time. We will use your feedback to continue improving the systems we have in place as much as possible.    -  YaleK_VZW

Highlighted

Tigerstep
Novice

You can't control who spoofs a phone number.

Verizon would never contact you unsolicited -- especially with a robot dialer. Using SSN for verification has been phased out years ago. Your would be scammer is behind on the times.

Download the free call filter app and set to block all suspected spam calls.

Highlighted

TinaB8

I never gave out my PIN.. they didn't get it, thank goodness!  I checked my account, and spoke with a rep at the real Verizon Wireless, and he checked, and said everything looked good!

0 Likes
Highlighted

TinaB8

I had the free call filter several weeks ago.. but, it said two calls that I got were "potential spam" and they were legitimate calls that went to voicemail, and I had to call them back.  I decided to ask verizon to delete the free call filter off my cell phone, as I didn't think it worked, as it was suppose to.

0 Likes
Highlighted

TinaB8

Thank you for seeing my Message and responding.  I'm not really sure what else I could be doing to prevent this kind of thing from happening.  My son told me i should NEVER answer my phone, unless I know who it is that is calling.  The weird thing is that I had Verizon Wireless in my Contacts, and when the phone wrong, and it looked legit, I had no real reason not to answer it.  My stupid mistake was giving out my last four of my social.  The Robo Call also wanted to "verify" that I was the Owner of the account.  I am an account mgr, but not the owner, but I said YES to the question as my husband was right next to me in the car, and we both wanted to hear what kind of fraudulent activity they were talking about.  So, they got me to say YES, and they got last 4 of SS number.  I feel so stupid that i gave them those numbers.

0 Likes
Highlighted

TinaB8

I really thought it was a legit call from their FRAUD DEPARTMENT.  But, you're right.  There probably is no reason (other than fraud) that Verizon would contact me

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

TinaB8 Thank you again for reporting this to us. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Is there anything else we can help you with? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We are happy to see that this did not cause any issues with your account. Thank you for providing that information and letting us know. This is never what we want our customers to go through and will continue to work on our account security. Thank you again for letting us know. JasperM_VZW

0 Likes