Highlighted

How to fix this Christmas nightmare? (Asurion, Verizon & USPS shipping Military base)

I am active duty military living overseas and have only ever been a Verizon customer.  I had the crazy idea of buying my wife a new iphone6+ for Christmas as she was due for an upgrade and unfortunately will be moving for her job back to the States without me in January.  In November,  I bought the phone and the highest Asurion Insurance plan available- and since the store only ships via FedEx (which does not deliver to Military bases overseas), I asked my parents to go get the phone and ship it USPS Priority.  They did so, AND insured the shipping for the cost of the phone.

Fast-forward a month later, and the phone is missing and was never delivered.  It had tracking and last shows it made it to a military base in Germany, but the wrong one a couple hours away.  This was three weeks ago, it wouldn't take three weeks to get from that base to mine.  I am tracking that at this point it's only either the USPS or the military who has messed up.  Luckily, as mentioned I have shipping insurance for the price I paid ($426 for the iphone6+ with a two year contract).

Problem is, I need a new phone to replace that, and since I just started a new contract, I need to pay for a non-contract phone- something around $900.  You would think Verizon would have easily allowed me to claim the phone against the shipping and buy a new one, no problem- but this was not the case, I was told they will not sell me a non-contract price phone.

Next issue- Insurance. I bought the insurance, but was denied the claim as there "had never been any activity on the phone."  Not that the phone hadn't been activated, but there was no activity on the phone.  Remember, my wife and I live overseas and the phone was her Christmas gift.  We never received the phone, there is no way we could have used it. Told repeatedly that the insurance could not be used because the phone was never used. ""Unfortunately, your claim cannot be completed. In reviewing your account, it has been determined that the claimed equipment was not in use on your account at the time of loss."  When speaking with them, I posed this: a customer is at a store, purchases a phone and insurance and while making that first call either drops the phone or it is taken out of his hand before hitting send..  covered?  no.

I have all the paperwork: invoice, receipt, insurance info, shipping tracking, but all parties blame everyone else.  Asurion will not budge. Verizon will not allow me to buy another contract price phone 9they also say they will not adjust the contract/noncontract price as there had never been any activity on the phone).  I'm out the original $426 (which I will hopefully recover from USPS or the Military) but also out the $900 for a new phone.

It would actually be cheaper to pay the $350 to get out of the contract and start over at another company, but Verizon is all I have ever used.

Can anyone please think of something that I'm not?  I just don't believe nobody would step up and do the right thing (which in my mind, would be to replace the phone even with the $199 deductible, or at the very least sell me another iphone6+ for the non-contract price..

With that being said,  Merry Christmas from Germany!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: How to fix this Christmas nightmare? (Asurion, Verizon & USPS shipping Military base)

anyone?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: How to fix this Christmas nightmare? (Asurion, Verizon & USPS shipping Military base)

Leader

Sounds like your beef is with the USPS. Verizon and FedEx had successfully delivered the device to you as per their agreements. Since your parents shipped it via USPS and bought the insurance it is up to them to find the package or pay out on the claim. Unfortunately, you only insured it for your purchase price and not the full retail value of the device. This is a mistake that a lot of people make. Is there any other way to contact the other base and see if they have the package and re-route it to you?

Thank you for your service.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I agree, one of my beefs is with USPS.  For now it looks lost/stolen, the other base has exhusted their resources to no avail.

The insurance part is tricky, putting aside for now I insured the  package for $900 instead of the $426 that I paid.  Not sure that is 100% above board, but let's assume it is. Not sure USPS would pay out the $900 when my receipt says $426.

Has anyone else been turned down on their insurance because they hadn't used the phone yet? What's the point of paying for the top insurance price if they aren't going to cover loss before it gets to you?  How is one to have activity of their phone if it's purchased as a gift and shipped? (Note, the phone was activated at the store, just not used- store said they do everything online and there is no need to use it at point of sale)

and Verizon could easily adjust my contract to sell me a phone for the contract price, especially since I can show them all the paperwork of my purchase and loss at the USPS.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

So you want them to eat the cost of something they already delivered? Seriously emotions out of it would YOU be willing to eat the cost of $600+(carriers don't make money off devices like people believe they do) if some other company didn't deliver something after you fulfilled what you needed to do? Sorry as a person I wouldn't. I wouldn't even if I was a business.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes, emotions aside, I would sell that person a non-contract price phone, it is very easy for them to do that. But you are talking about Verizon though, no? I agree, I'm asking for Verizon to step up here, they are under no obligation to do so.  what about the insurance that I paid for?  Why does this insurance which was purchased to cover breakage and loss not kick in?  How can I get activity on the phone that was not delivered.

one side note- the ONLY reason my parents had to ship in the first place and not the store was because the store only uses FedEx which doesn't ship to Military overseas APO. I understand, the lost phone is not Verizon's fault.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

No you wouldn't be serious here you are willing to eat $600+ for someone else's mistakes?  Sorry I don't buy that. If they sent it themselves then yes I would expect them, but they already kept their end of the bargain. You are making room to fraud to happen in a large scale.

0 Likes
Highlighted

so that's your opinion on verizon, what about the insurance that I purchased?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

You should be able to get one no contract price with your insurance money but you won't get on contract price

0 Likes
Highlighted

contract or no contract price (doesn't matter), the insurance provides a replacement for a lost or stolen phone.  There is a $199 deductable.  This is probably what should have happened.  They say there is no claim due to no 'activity' on the unused phone.

I think this is where I have the biggest gripe.  While Verizon has no obligation to help me out, I am not understanding why my insurance is not covering this loss.

0 Likes