Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

How does Google know what I bought on Amazon?

On my Razr M at the top of the home screen is Google search. Well, on more than one occasion, and just the other day when i had bought something on Amazon for my wife, when I tapped the search bar, There was the item I had purchased with an option to track the package!

How is that possible? How can I prevent that from happening in the future?

Talk about loss of privacy ...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: How does Google know what I bought on Amazom !!!

It's not a tracking cookie, if you use your android phone with the same Gmail account as your amazon account, then you'll receive emails confirming your Amazon orders and shipments. Google Now can, at your discretion, use data from your gmail emails to notify you of things like packages, upcoming trips. None of that data is shared with anybody but you.

View solution in original post

Probably shared tracking cookies. Be advised that If its on the internet it could be read by all.

0 Likes

I could understand if Google showed adds related to what I purchased. But how the heck did they know what I purchased from Amazon, much less offer to track the package.

0 Likes

It's not a tracking cookie, if you use your android phone with the same Gmail account as your amazon account, then you'll receive emails confirming your Amazon orders and shipments. Google Now can, at your discretion, use data from your gmail emails to notify you of things like packages, upcoming trips. None of that data is shared with anybody but you.

View solution in original post

hanglyhosepipe wrote:

....Google Now can, at your discretion, use data from your gmail emails to notify you of things like packages, upcoming trips. None of that data is shared with anybody but you.

OK. So what do I need to do to, where do I change my preferences so that Google doesn't have my OK to log my purchases?

0 Likes

Google isn't logging your purchases, merely reminding you based on information in your emails. However, if you'd like to stop seeing such notifications in the search app, you can disable Google Now in the settings menu. Hold down the "home" button, then swipe up to the google logo. Then, scroll to the bottom of the Google Now application and touch the thee-dotted Action Overflow icon. In the "Settings" menu, you'll find a toggle at the top for Google Now. Set it to "off"

Thanks for the info.

When I do as you say, the keyboard appears at the bottom and the search box says "search, or say OK Google".

I touch the bottom left 'V' to hide the keyboard and I see the three dots. Touch that , then settings and I see an option for Accounts and privacy. That says I'm signed out for Google search, and no google cards can be shown."

It's possible in my rummaging around I managed to disable it without realizing it..

0 Likes

Customer Support

Flyswatter- Your privacy is most certainly important. When you sign into Google you are prompted to agree to terms of service. You can monitor search settings by tapping the google search bar, next, touch the menu key (the 3 horizontal squares) then, go to settings. You can uncheck specific items you don't want tracked. I hope this helps.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes