Highlighted

How do I stop Verizon emails about an account I don't have?

I’m not a Verizon Wireless customer. So, imagine my surprise when I started getting emails from Verizon two months ago. I grew concerned when I saw the emails referenced the last 4 digits of an account and phone in my name. As the number of emails grew, I decided to contact Verizon. But wait, there isn’t a way to contact them without an account/phone number! I finally forwarded an email to phishing address (the only one I could find), thinking that it could be an elaborate phishing scheme and hoping it would be investigated. While I didn't expect a response, I did hope that the emails would stop. Nothing happened.

It could simply mean the customer shares my name, but identity theft is a possibility. The unsubscribe link is of no use, because I want to make sure this person hasn’t accessed any of MY information. An automated removal from a mailing list won't do that. It is inexcusable that Verizon allows customers to add an email address to their account without verification. What’s ironic is that, to post here, I had to register for the community. And what do I get?

“Your new account is waiting to be approved. Once your account has been approved, you’ll receive an email notification with a link to the site.”

It took several hours to finally receive an email to confirm the community account, but at least it came. So, Verizon sends confirmation emails to people who want to post in a discussion thread, but NOT to people with accounts that contain a ton of personal information? How can a company be so incompetent? 

Can someone help? Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: How do I stop Verizon emails about an account I don't have?

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can certainly understand your concern and frustration, noncustomer. I would be at my wits end if I was getting emails from a carrier that I was not a customer of. What most likely happened is there was a misspelling of your email (username) account that led to you. There is not a way for us to see if the mystery email has anything to do with your identity. Our customers use emails for alerts on data and billing. I would like to suggest that you please enter your email into our unsubscribe link. http://bit.ly/28VmooG
When that email is unsubscribed, that customer will certainly go in and correct the email address. At that time, you will not longer have emails linked with your email address.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can certainly understand your concern and frustration, noncustomer. I would be at my wits end if I was getting emails from a carrier that I was not a customer of. What most likely happened is there was a misspelling of your email (username) account that led to you. There is not a way for us to see if the mystery email has anything to do with your identity. Our customers use emails for alerts on data and billing. I would like to suggest that you please enter your email into our unsubscribe link. http://bit.ly/28VmooG
When that email is unsubscribed, that customer will certainly go in and correct the email address. At that time, you will not longer have emails linked with your email address.

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Leader

What I find pretty funny is that the OP berates Verizon then asks for help

Highlighted

That doesn't help since I am a customer and I get the proper notices for my account in addition to one not mine.

0 Likes