Highlighted

How do I port a number and still keep my Verizon service?

I would like to port my number and get a new Verizon number with out canceling my service.

I called and customer service could not assist me on this . They had no Idea how to get this done.

Can some one from Verizon contact me who knows how to do this.

Thank you ,

Carlos

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: How do I port a number and still keep my Verizon service?

Yes you can, I just did it and my account wasn't cancelled. It takes 24 hours for a number to get ported to GV, so as long as you change your number before that time, your account won't get cancelled. I did it 7 hours after I initiated the port just to make sure there were no hiccups with initiating the port. The only thing that happens is that your minutes and texts get prorated between the numbers if you're on a limited plan. So you may get charged for any additional minutes/texts used over the prorated daily allowance. Luckily I have unlimited everything so it didn't matter when I did the port. If you're worried about overages, I would port the last day of your cycle or the first day of your cycle to minimize overages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

You can't, as soon as you port the number it cancels your Verizon contract.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

Search for the large Google Voice porting discussion thread on the Verizon Wireless Community forum. Start there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Yes you can, I just did it and my account wasn't cancelled. It takes 24 hours for a number to get ported to GV, so as long as you change your number before that time, your account won't get cancelled. I did it 7 hours after I initiated the port just to make sure there were no hiccups with initiating the port. The only thing that happens is that your minutes and texts get prorated between the numbers if you're on a limited plan. So you may get charged for any additional minutes/texts used over the prorated daily allowance. Luckily I have unlimited everything so it didn't matter when I did the port. If you're worried about overages, I would port the last day of your cycle or the first day of your cycle to minimize overages.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

0 Likes
Highlighted

The instructions SHOULD WORK.  I am 13 hours in to porting my number to GV.

Follow the instructions in the link...

So far here are my updates.

1. GV start port transfer and pay the $20

2. immediately went to VZWireless and requested new # on website

3. Rebooted 4g phone after waiting 5 min

4. New number was on phone

5. at the 12 hr mark.  I got an error on GV that porting received an error contact VZ support.

6. after hyperventilating in a bag and changing underwear for fear of loosing my cell # of 15 years...

7. Called VZ Support... the REP WAS AWESOME... she connected me to a dept (at 11pm on a Sat eve) who in 2 min told me to re-initiate the port on GV

8. Fingers crossed going to bed... see whats what in the AM

0 Likes