How do I move my child's phone to her own account?

STUMAS77

Hi!

My child is over 20 now. She has been on our family plan. She currently has a phone she pays the monthly note on. How do I set her up with her own account and move that monthly charge with it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: How do I move my child's phone to her own account?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Excellent question STUMAS77. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. Here's all the information you need to know concerning that transfer of service and device payment plan to your daughter's own account:  http://vz.to/2aJOqYD

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Tidbits
Sr. Leader

You can do an Assumption of liability. I am unsure if they allow the DPP to transfer over as well. You can check with the reps.

LENNYEDGE

see if you can unregister her device then have her get her own acct. or see if you can unregister your acct and reset acct anew without her device and or call vzw to ask best option.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Seriously? The only way to unregister the phone is to cancel it. The daughter would lose the phone number and the account owner would be responsible for paying off the remaining balance of the Device Payment Plan. The phone would also be blacklisted until the balance was paid preventing the daughter from opening a new account with the same phone. They would also have to get a new phone number. Most people wouldn't want to be in the situation of informing everyone (personal and business contacts) of their new number. The simplest and easiest is to complete a transfer of billing responsibility aka Assumption of Liability that Tidbits mentioned already. The daughter keeps their number and network they are familiar with. The second easiest option is to port the number to a different carrier. Porting the number to another carrier does still require the account owner to pay the remaining DPP balance, but the daughter could still pay her parents back in installments or whatever the family agrees to.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

LENNYEDGE

let us know what customer support said.

Customer Service

(800) 922-0204

0 Likes

pherson
Leader

I said the same thing Ann154 if people are unsure of what the correct options are they should not be on a peer to peer forum simply trying to raise points.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Excellent question STUMAS77. I welcome the opportunity to address your inquiry. Here's all the information you need to know concerning that transfer of service and device payment plan to your daughter's own account:  http://vz.to/2aJOqYD

EbonyR_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

mburdge39

reply to Ann154...............This answer is wrong. Verizon makes it simple for your child to keep their number and start their own account. I just did it with my son, whom also has 10 payments left on his phone. Release the number from your account. I needed his name and email. Verizon then sent him an email informing him how to open his account. Simple. http://vz.to/2aJOqYD

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

@mburdge39 wrote:

reply to Ann154...............This answer is wrong. Verizon makes it simple for your child to keep their number and start their own account. I just did it with my son, whom also has 10 payments left on his phone. Release the number from your account. I needed his name and email. Verizon then sent him an email informing him how to open his account. Simple. http://vz.to/2aJOqYD

First of all, Ann's answer is 3 yrs old and policies may have changed since then.

Second, I don't think you understand Ann's answer. She is questioning what was previously stated in this thread and goes on to say can do exactly what you have suggested. So, in essence, you are saying Ann's answer is wrong and THEN go on to suggest to do the EXACT same thing Ann was suggesting. That is EXACTLY what an assumption of liability is.