Highlighted

How do I get rid of annoying pop-up ads?

I keep getting these really annoying pop-up ads. I could be in the middle of texting someone or sometimes just trying to unlock my phone seems difficult to do because of the pop-up ads. They tend to freeze up my phone for a minute or two until the pop-up finally pops up. Is there any way to shut them off? I tried everything I read about and nothing seems to work. Not even downloadable apps. My phone is still new. I got it November.

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: How do I get rid of annoying pop-up ads?

Expert

Which phone model do you have? Are the messages really an ad or a message about the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Verizon Employee

Brwneyddtchfrmgrl , pop-up ads can be very annoying. Let’s work together to get this fixed. As Ann154 asked, what model phone do you have? What applications are open when this happens? When did this start?

JoelR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

They are ads usually for games like Tik Tok, Candy Crush, etc. I could be doing anything except during phone calls and they pop up. I have a LG V40ThinQ.

0 Likes
Highlighted

It happens a lot while I am texting on my actual phone messenger. They pop up when I am doing everything but phone calls. It's been happening ever since I got my phone which was around the end of November.

Highlighted

Is there a app I can install that can help with the ads or is there a way to turn them off? I have been trying to find a way to shut them off. I thought may be the ads were coming from Google Play to help advertise games and get people interested in downloading them but I can't find anything in the settings about ads. Again the ads are for games. They pop up when I am doing just about anything but phone calls. Sometimes it causes me difficulties unlocking my phone because an ad is popping up while my phone is locked. I know when an ad is popping up because it freezes my phone for a few seconds until the ad pops up. Please can someone please help me?

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is what I tried from what I found on a similar post and giving a try:

Here is what seems to be happening, the update not only turns ads on in Google it also changes your privacy settings & hence the bombardment of ads. First change your settings for ads in Google. Then go to: http://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN to scan for ads & opt out of them. You'll need to run it a few times but it resolved the issues.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I just did a chat session about this with VZW tech and they told me to just start deleting apps 1 at a time to see if it stops it.  While that could be the issue, I doubt it, as the user I helping stated its been doing it since getting the phone.  I think the ad is for GoWiress (a "premium" retalier).  FYI not a fan of theirs. For reference, I am a former VZW store manager and am very familiar with the tech.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

I was also getting pop up ads, and to find out what one was causing it, i had to open the play store, my apps and games tab, installed, then under on this device i check last used from alphabetical, and boom! A app i have not used in months showed up as a recent used app. This app was causing the pop ups!. uninstalled and it fixed it!. 

Motorola Z3 on the Verizon network.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Pop-up ads can be very annoying. Let’s work together to get this fixed.

what model phone do you have? What applications are open when this happens? When did this start?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes