Highlighted

How do I erase all data from two old phones?

scififan

Hello! I hope that I am posting in the correct place  - I apologize if I am not!

I have two old phones, a LG VX5200 and a Samsung Juke - both are from Verizon. I am trying to get rid of them, but am concerned about properly wiping them. I searched the internet for how to wipe the LG phone, and after I followed the sintrcutionson how to do a "reset" still found that contacts and all messages and incoming and outgoing calls remained. So, clearly "reset" does not do the job. 

As for the Juke, it has another problem - it will not fully power up. While plugged into the outlet, it lights up, but just blinks on and off and will not let me power it up or down. So, that kind of tells me I am not going to even be able to delete call logs, but am unclear on what level of security risk it holds if it will not power up. Maybe a new battery will slove the problem, and then all my data is there for the world to see?

I would really appreciate it if anyone is able to help me clear out these phones once and for all, securely.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: How do I erase all data from two old phones?

kathy65793

Is there anything on either of these phones that say factory reset or is that what you mean when you said

sintrcutionson reset?

0 Likes

scififan

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

The LG phone does have a factory reset, but when I did that, the contact list and list of messages did not clear out. I had to go back in and delete those manually. So, it makes me wonder what the reset actually does, and if that is a really a secure solution. 

The other phone does not come on completely so I am unable to see what is on it.

kathy65793

That is strange it is suppose to wipe the phone clean. You didn't sign back into the phone?

One thing you could try and do is go into applications and clear the data portion of the app and make sure that you don't have the phone sync to anything like the cloud or google account.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We recognize the need to delete sensitive data from a device before you sell it, scififan. You came to the right place for some answers. The LG VX5200 is a great device for sure, and it sounds as if you already found the way to delete all its data. Just in case, here’s a link to the user manual for that device: http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/pdf/VX5200-(E)_Final_1.1.pdf  Pages 62 and 63 talk a bit about erasing personal content, though I didn’t locate a “master reset” option.

Since you’re unable to power up the Juke fully, we recommend looking into the battery replacement option, as that would be the only way to access the needed steps to delete personal content on that device. Here’s a link to the user manual for the Juke: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200710/20071019040431734_verizon_wireless_u470_juke_ug....

I hope you find this information useful.

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes