Highlighted

How do I block premium messages?

Watson79

How do you BLOCK Premium Messages for certain phone lines on a account? Also known as Blocking PSMS.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Premium Messages

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

You can log into the account owners MyVerizon account, click on the "My Plan & Services" tab, choose  "Block Services", choose the line you would like to block, expand "Messaging" and check "Block Premium Messaging".

View solution in original post

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

You can log into the account owners MyVerizon account, click on the "My Plan & Services" tab, choose  "Block Services", choose the line you would like to block, expand "Messaging" and check "Block Premium Messaging".

View solution in original post

0 Likes

MFW223

The messaging section has no option to block premium messaging. I talked with a support representative via live chat and they told me that there is no way to block PSMS/premium messages "anymore" (and they apparently talked to their supervisor too), and their attempt to view documentation on how to block PSMS had been archived and was no longer available.

What's going on here?!

0 Likes

deloused

With the technical progression of the messaging platforms that function is controlled more by the settings of the apps/devices being used rather than the website settings

0 Likes

MFW223

Thanks for your reply @deloused 

I can understand that on the sending side... the whole thing that kicked off my search was receiving texts from a 5-digit number asking me to take a survey about a recent repair service and telling me to reply "STOP" to stop receiving this message.  After about the 5th time I tried texting STOP but the OS popped up a warning that sending this text "might" incur charges on my account.  Why should I have to pay to tell a survey to stop bothering me?  How do I find out if it really will and if so how much? 

In trying to research this I found that apparently there are PSMS messages that you can be charged for simply by *receiving* an SMS message, and they don't even have to verify you really asked for the message - somebody could apparently take your phone number and stick it in a form somewhere and boom you get charged.  Verizon gave me a reference number to use if this happens to me personally, but I would first have to realize if it happens and then go through the time and hassle of trying to contact Verizon (the most convenient method, online chat, sometimes is unavailable) and get them to take the charge off.

So is the OS supposed to request my permission now to receive PSMS that will cost me money?  It would be nice if Verizon would document this on their web site instead of silently removing all traces of mention or leaving up old pages with directions that no longer work.   And also if they would provide some easy automated way so you know exactly what a proposed charge might be.

0 Likes