How come I receive emails and texts in spurts?

jtpinnyc

I have a wireless data plan in NYC for which I pay more than $130/month. I came to Verizon from AT&T after being frustrated by their poor data coverage and speeds in Manhattan. While the data coverage with Verizion has been a lot more satisfactory, I cannot get over the fact that I don't seem to receive texts and emails in real time. That is to say, I receive them in "batches." Every now and then, my phone will let off a cacophony of notification tones and I'll get maybe 4-5 texts and a couple of emails all at once. I have emails set to push with the Gmail app on my iPhone, and texts should be received in real time.

This isn't a case of me wandering in and out of areas with poor coverage. I'm working from home, my phone is right next to me all day and I have perfect reception, both calls and data. I have no problem with using the internet on my phone - everything is very slick and fast. But why do I get notifications in spurts like this? It's as if Verizon is making no attempt to deliver messages to me in real time and is packaging them together to save bandwidth or something (hey I'm not a phone technician so I can't be sure). This is not what I pay for, and the inability of my phone to receive messages instantly is quite literally costing me business. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with Verizon? For all of AT&T's faults, I did get texts and emails very reliably as and when they were sent.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: How come I receive emails and texts in spurts?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

It sounds like the phone is "syncing" every 15 minutes or 30 minutes, or whenever it is you get the "batches"of notifications.  I don't have an iPhone, so I'm not familiar with how you set up the schedule to sync emails and texts ... you did say you have the email set to "push" so it seems that would NOT be the issue.  And it's strange that texts are not received in real time.

Are you using an app for texts (iMessages? Messages +)  Check the settings  - If it's set to sync over wi-fi only, and the phone is "sleeping", on iPhones that will also turn off the wifi, so I've heard.  I'm just throwing out ideas, I don't know why it wouldn't be working in real time....

0 Likes

jtpinnyc

Yeah I have email set to push, and I'm using the native iPhone texting app. And yet still notifications come in spurts. In addition, I have found that I don't receive notifications for a lot of messages, meaning that sometimes I turn on my phone and despite it having been sitting next to me in a quiet room without making any noise, there are new messages waiting for me. Same thing happens with my girlfriend's phone, also on Verizon.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I want to make sure that you get all your email jtpinnyc! What is the make/model of you device? How long has this been going on for? Who is the email provider you are having issues with ?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

jtpinnyc

It's an iPhone 6 Plus. My email is Gmail. It's been this way since I switched to Verizon, which I think was something like October of last year.

0 Likes