Highlighted

How can I turn off 2 factor authentication?

How can I turn off 2 factor authentication, or at least have it ask me a security question rather than send a text to the phone (which is not with me and the reason I'm logging in on a different device).

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: How can I turn off 2 factor authentication?

Have you set up the security question/answers on your My Verizon Profile?  There have been several discussions on this issue such as Logging in and required code  but I don't think it was ever resolved.  There were suggestions e.g. "When you login, do you have a box to select "remember me" or "remember this device"? If so, have you selected that option? That should prevent the system from re-asking you to validate a security code.", but that might only work with that particular device.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
Highlighted

Thank you.  I do have "remember me" selected, but periodically, when trying to log into my messages from my IPAD, it forces me to send a pin to my actual phone (which I don't always have with me, and why I'm logging in from my IPad.).  It seems to do that randomly for a few days, then reverts back to just allowing me to log in with my username and password.  It's not consistent.

Highlighted

Customer Support

As a consumer I know unexpected charges can be alarming and I'm here to help. Customers privacy and security are top priorities. We've  launched SecurePIN as an additional level of authentication in My Verizon. SecurePIN is used by many industries, including banking and finance, to ensure that transactions requested by customers originate from the customer. Without SecurePIN, fraudsters can use phishing sites to access customers' online accounts. When access is gained, fraudsters can add AMs and complete transactions such as Add A Line (AAL), international dialing, etc., without the account owner's knowledge. Do you have any account questions or concerns that I can assist you with? If so, please reply to my Private Message with your concerns. 

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I sometimes don't have my phone, so I go to the Verizon website to sign in and look at my texts.  Periodically it says that it needs to send a text code to my phone and I will need to enter that code to proceed, however, I don't have my phone!  How do I bypass that?  I don't mind answering a security question, but the whole reason I'm logging into the website is because I don't have my phone.  It doesn't seem to matter if I select "remember me".  This seems to happen intermittently.  Sometimes I can go for days and it doesn't make me enter the code, and then for a few days straight it will force me to enter the code, then magically revert back a few days later.

Thank you!

Highlighted

Customer Support

I understand wanting the convenience of checking your messages when your phone is not available, Trishdk. You mentioned that you do select "Remember me," however, a SecurePIN can generate if history has been cleared, or if you are connecting to a different data network, like WiFi. There is not a way to bypass this if you have been prompted to enter a SecurePIN. I apologize for the inconvenience.

AndreaS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Trishdk, your security is important to us, but so is keeping you connected with your messages. While there is no way to shut-off the current security requirements, have you considered getting a smartwatch to keep your messages with you at all times? http://spr.ly/6581DM2aZ I know that you mentioned having an iPad, is your phone an iPhone? If so, have you considered linking the two to share calls and messages?

JoelR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Standard Verizon...  We can't help you at all, but we'll be glad to sell you something that might...

Highlighted

This is so true.  Verizon is useless.  As soon as I can pay off my phone I'm outta this garbage company.   I never asked for two factor auth and I was fine with using my security questions to get into my account when I did not have my phone...now I can't even access it if I don't have my phone with NO option to turn it off except to buy more garbage!  Ridiculous.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

@ashleyanna22 wrote:

This is so true.  Verizon is useless.  As soon as I can pay off my phone I'm outta this garbage company.   I never asked for two factor auth and I was fine with using my security questions to get into my account when I did not have my phone...now I can't even access it if I don't have my phone with NO option to turn it off except to buy more garbage!  Ridiculous.

Well your going to be hard pressed to find an alternate carrier.  With the volume of hacked accounts and stolen phones carriers are all adding 2 factor to make sure they - and you - are not ripped off.  I can verify that At&t uses 2 factor.  

0 Likes