Horrible Customer Service And False Promotions

To Whom It May Concern:

In December of 2014, my fiance and I switched our mobile carrier from AT&T to Verizon due to the promise of better coverage and the promotions that were going on for the holidays. My first phone call to Verizon, I spoke with a very nice woman who informed me that not only did we get the phones we wanted for free with new signup, but each line would be credited for the first 3 months of service. After discussing it with my fiance, I called back later on in the week to set up our new account. I once again spoke to a very nice rep who explained the same offer the first representative had already informed me of, but also told me that with sign up we would receive two free tablets. At first I declined as we already had tablets that we were satisfied with and two more lines were just not in the set budget I had given her. The sales rep went on and on about how great the tablets were and that they were ABSOLUTELY free and the only thing we would be getting charged for every month would be the phones. Again, I declined. The Rep went on to INSIST that we get the tablets "What could it hurt? They're free! You're not going to have to pay for them! Since it is the holidays and we have this promotion I will go ahead and waive the monthly fees for the tablets for the whole of your 2 year contract." After much back and forth I finally broke and agreed to have the tablets sent out with our phones. That, as I would come to find out was a huge mistake out of many that began with Verizon.

In January I received my first bill and couldn't believe my eyes! My first bill was $350. I called Verizon to find out it was just a statement and that the credits had not been applied yet but not to worry because there was no fee for activation. I did however notice that both the tablets had also shown up on my bill. When I received the "NEW" statement the tablets once again showed up on the bill. I ONCE AGAIN called Verizon and spoke with a rep that was very vague as to why I would be getting these charges. He explained that he had never heard of this 2 year free tablet service and we would be getting charged for them. Upon his less than adequate explanation, I asked if I could return the tablets as I did not want them in the first place and if it were at all possible to talk to a supervisor as to where these fees and continuously wrong bill statements were coming from. The rep informed me that we would be contacted by a supervisor within the next few hours. A few hours passed and no phone call. I called the next day, explained the WHOLE situation over again and once again received no phone call. At this point the grace period to return the tablets had ended and I was stuck with a product I didn't want and was being charged for though I was told I would not be. And still this whole time receiving no phone call from anyone.  I finally had to make my SEVENTH call to Verizon to figure out my statement when once again I was receiving charges I couldn't understand. I asked if it were possible to take the insurance and lessen the data on our phones as well as suspending the lines for the tablets because once again, we do not use them and did not need them. I was told the lines could be suspended for 3 months which would lower our bill. After this time I received my next bill which was over $200. At which point to say I was utterly dissatisfied with Verizon is an understatement.

When we had finally had enough of playing "What's our bill going to be this month" I was told by a friend who works for T-mobile that they have a promotion going on that will buy us out of our contract and pay the shut off fee. In one LAST attempt to try to salvage some kind of understanding with Verizon, I called to ask why my bill was once again well above my budget. I talked to rep named Dan or Dave who continuously asked as to why we took the tablets if we didn't need them and why we didn't just return them if we didn't want them. In the midst of giving an explanation I paused for a brief moment and the rep began to speak at the same time I did. I finished up with "Well I would just like to know why my bill is so high and why I am getting charged for my tablets" to which the rep responded "Well sir, I was going to explain that before you interrupted me!"  Let me explain that this whole "relationship" with Verizon has been so frustrating to begin with that to hear someone speak to you in such a manner and also make you feel as if the false information given to you about a product is YOUR fault and not theirs is infuriating. Especially when the conversation had never been a "heated" one.  I would never pay a company to do a service for me only to speak to me as if I am a child and completely incapable of processing basic information.

I might also say, around the time this was going on, my fiance had gone to see her father who was diagnosed with a rare condition causing him to lose his eyesight at 59 and who lost his wife to long cancer in March 2014. He is just learning to handle the bills his wife was in charge of.  He told me fiance that he had never had such a hard time putting an account into his name as he did with Verizon who had been with for years.  He had told my her he was growing continuously frustrated with the customer service reps he talked to who were of no help in giving him a straight answer as to why he couldn't get the account put in his name. He didn't want to cancel, didn't want to get rid of any lines, he just wanted the bill in his name. He was told in order to do that he needed to come in with his wife's death certificate. He explained to them that he could not drive as he was disabled. The rep he spoke to was incredibly rude and told him she couldn't believe he didn't have a fax machine he could use to fax him the death certificate since he couldn't drive. Completely inappropriate! On Feb 15 he received a letter from Verizon saying that per his request there would be a line added to his account. Incredibly confused by this, he called Verizon to get an explanation since no such request had been made. The rep told him that because he had a family plan for 5 lines and one line was not being used any longer the line would be a dead line and basically used to just keep him in his plan. In march he received his usual bill for $76 and another bill for $436. Turns out it was fraud. In his first attempt to remedy the situation, the mother of all rude reps got very "huffy" on the phone with him and said "Um, Sir if this is fraud I'm not even supposed to be speaking to you! I need you to put the account holder on the phone." to which my father in law responded "I to would love to speak to my wife however she passed away last year and since I have been trying to have this account put in my name." her response was "Well there is nothing I can do for you till you go to a store, bring her death certificate, and your fraudulent bill and give it to someone at the store." The situation was later diffused, but once my fiance heard the way the reps spoke to her father she said she was disgusted we had Verizon as our cell phone company. Again, they could care less about their customers.

This company has been nothing but a headache. Your Customer service reps must be hired based on their lack of knowledge for the products they sell and the company they work for. The reason Verizon is the #1 cell phone company in the US is because they trick people into false promotions and charge these random ghost fees. I will be emailing the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports to warn against these false advertisements. I have gotten customer service from PREPAID cell phone companies.

Will NEVER be recommending the company to anyone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Horrible Customer Service And False Promotions

Novice

When you say fraud, do you mean Verizon was taking advantage of you by lying? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Horrible Customer Service And False Promotions

No. I mean my father in law really did end up with a fraudulent bill. Someone had hacked his account. However, when  he received the notice saying a line had been added to his account, he called Verizon he talked to 3 different people that gave him 3 different explanation as to why the line had been added in the first place and the general consensus was he had "nothing to worry about" in fact...he did. I may as well compare his situation to ours. We never once spoke to someone that gave us the truth.

0 Likes
Covid19