Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Has the Verizon Edge Program Ended?
Frank_the_Lawyer

So did the Verizon "edge" program (free device upgrade once you paid off at least 50% of current device) end?  If so was there any warning / notice to Verizon customers?????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Edge Program Ended?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

First of all, the Edge program has not ended. The name has just been changed to the Device Payment Program(DPP).

When first introduced, you were able to purchase a new device after paying off 50% of your old device AND returning the old device in good working order with no physical damage. Otherwise, you would be charged the remaining balance on your old device.

That was switched to paying off 60% before a new purchase, then 75% before a new purchase and NOW you have to pay off 100% before a new purchase and you do not have to turn in your old device. For many, this is actually a good thing as you can then sell your old device for more than 50% of the original value in many instances.

In some cases, for some flagship phones such as the iPhone and some Samsung devices, there is an annual upgrade program which closely resembles what the EDGE plan originally started off as, paying off 50% of the device, returning it in good working/physical condition and purchasing the next model. Currently, I believe only the iPhone 7/7+ are the only devices with this annual upgrade program running.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

First of all, the Edge program has not ended. The name has just been changed to the Device Payment Program(DPP).

When first introduced, you were able to purchase a new device after paying off 50% of your old device AND returning the old device in good working order with no physical damage. Otherwise, you would be charged the remaining balance on your old device.

That was switched to paying off 60% before a new purchase, then 75% before a new purchase and NOW you have to pay off 100% before a new purchase and you do not have to turn in your old device. For many, this is actually a good thing as you can then sell your old device for more than 50% of the original value in many instances.

In some cases, for some flagship phones such as the iPhone and some Samsung devices, there is an annual upgrade program which closely resembles what the EDGE plan originally started off as, paying off 50% of the device, returning it in good working/physical condition and purchasing the next model. Currently, I believe only the iPhone 7/7+ are the only devices with this annual upgrade program running.

View solution in original post

Frank_the_Lawyer

Well this might be considered a good thing for some people but personally I do not have time to try to sell my phone to some stranger for the highest bid that is not feasible and actually dangerous 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Doesn't have to be a bidding process. You set the price, people either choose to purchase it or not. MANY phones are sold in this manner. I have purchased a couple of phones in this manner to play around with and have yet to have a good experience.

Of course you do not have to sell your phone. You can choose to keep it if you wish as I always do. I normally have a couple of phones on hand which in many cases friends/relatives have borrowed when they broke/lost their phone and either were not eligible for an upgrade or didn't want to enter into a purchasing agreement for a new phone at the time.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

I have purchased a couple of phones in this manner to play around with and have yet to have a good experience.

Sorry, mistake above. Should read "I have purchased a couple of phones in this manner to play around with and have yet to have a bad experience" Smiley Happy

Frank_the_Lawyer

Yes I inferred that...still I am very apprehensive about running into the Craigslist killer, just to make a few bucks.  Really regret falling for all the hype over the Note 7, after all the incredible hassle related to TWO returns, I now have started all over with an S7 Edge, while I was doing just fine with my iPhone, previously....which was under the old Edge program.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Frank_the_Lawyer wrote:

Yes I inferred that...still I am very apprehensive about running into the Craigslist killer, just to make a few bucks.

There's no need to run into anyone. You sell the device and have it delivered by UPS. Of the purchases I made, the closest one was ~1000 miles away.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert

There are other sites besides Craigslist where you could sell or purchase a device. Swappa is one example.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Frank_the_Lawyer

Well, maybe I'll try it if the new Galaxy S8 or whatever it is gonna be

called ever comes out.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 6:40 PM, rcschnoor <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

The one Ann154​ pointed out, swappa.com, is the one I have used in the past.

0 Likes