Highlighted

HELP needed with edge PLEASE?

cem421

I am so confused how the edge program works and I really need some help on what to do. I've been a verizon customer for about 10 years and I'm on a single line "loyalty" plan and have been paying about $100 a month ($60 plan and about $30 edge monthly payment ) .Last year I got a Iphone 5S 32gig on an edge agreement , I only owe $164 and the iphone 5 will be totally paid off. Looking at my edge agreement there is an option to buy out my contract (for $164) .My plan was I would pay the $164 so I could resell the iphone5  because I want an iphone 6+ (I thought I was getting it for my upgrade)

So I went ahead and ordered the iphone 6+ and it was delivered yesterday. I am eligible for my upgrade so I that is what I thought I was doing when I ordered the iphone6 but it was somehow given to me as an edge up phone instead.  According to my receipt that came with the iphone6 I will be making equal monthly payments on an edge agreement for a iphone6 for $849 total AND I am supposed to return the iphone5S which is where I have a problem. I have paid over $500 towards the iphone5 so why can't I buy out my edge contract for $164 and keep the iphone 5 and the iphone 6+ on a new edge agreement? I have not activated the iphone 6 yet, I think I may return it because I am so confused. My contract ends in April...can I return the iphone 6 and keep my iphone 5 if I buy out the contract for $164 and then get a iphone 6 on a new edge agreement or as my upgrade??? Am I going to be charged for something I don't yet know about?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: HELP needed with edge PLEASE?

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You will get more if you sell the 5S than for a trade in.  And so many tradeins go horribly bad.

my advice is payoff the 5S and sell it.

then activate your new phone.

this is my opinion.   Others may have another option.

pick what works for you.  Smiley Happy

RushFan2112

You should have bought out your current Edge phone before your went and upgraded.  Since you upgraded while still on an Edge agreement, your new phone is considered an Edge Up and you are required to return it.

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You are right.  The only out now is to return the iPhone 6. Then pay off Edge.

its a dumb plan.   Perhaps why I buy my phones at full retail

0 Likes

cem421

Can I do that still? Pay off the iphone 5 and sell it myself and then I'll be able to just go ahead and activate the iphone 6?

0 Likes

Not applicable

The terms on how the plans works are clearly spelled out on the website. Not confusing at all. The deal is if you upgrade before you phone is paid off you turn the phone in. If you want to keep the phone you need to pay it off FIRST. Also you're not on contract you're on an Edge agreement. How can your Edge agreement end in April and you still owe $164?

0 Likes

cem421

Since I upgraded while on an edge agreement I have to return the iphone 6? Did i upgrade or did I edge up? Is upgrading  the same thing as edge up?

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

This has a very simple answer. If you DO NOT return a phone when making an Edge Up purchase, you are simply charged for the remaining payments left on your original Edge agreement. If you only had $164 left in future payments, that is what you will be charged for not returning the phone. Since you had already planned to pay that off, it will cost you nothing extra to simply keep the phone. That is my understanding of the Edge plan and not returning an Edge phone when Edging Up. Before selling the device, you should make sure that $164 charge is paid off. If not, there may be a block placed on the phone preventing someone from using it, which would not make the new owner very happy.

For future reference, you are supposed to pay off your Edge agreement before purchasing a new device, UNLESS you pay full price up front for the new device.

cem421

I'm not on a contract? In my verizon under "view contract end date" it tells me April is when my contract ends

0 Likes

Not applicable

Since you're already on an Edge plan and you did not pay off the phone I would assumed you Edged up. I doubt Verizon would have let you sign a 2 year contract on a iPhone 6 without having paid off the 5s first. they also wouldn't have asked for the phone. Upgrading means signing a 2 year contract for a discounted phone. You also lose the Edge discount and there would be an upgrade fee.

0 Likes