Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan

rowala

I think that it is a shortsighted decision from a customer retention point of view to increase the cost of a grandfathered unlimited data plan by $20 per month.  It effectively reduces the utility of having a grandfathered unlimited plan.  While I understand that Verizon would prefer not to have unlimited data plans, I have incurred additional expenses in purchasing new devices in order to do so. Moreover, I think that it is disingenuous to describe a plan as grandfathered when you increase the price significantly in order to retain the grandfathered status. Given that my family has been on a Verizon Wireless plan for many years and that I also have residential FIOS service, I would expect some degree of loyalty to be exhibited by Verizon. Obviously, that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess I will need to research other providers.

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

rowala wrote:

I think that it is a shortsighted decision from a customer retention point of view to increase the cost of a grandfathered unlimited data plan by $20 per month.  It effectively reduces the utility of having a grandfathered unlimited plan. 

Even with the price increase, you are purchasing that data at a GREATLY reduced rate from currently available Verizon rates.

rowala wrote:

While I understand that Verizon would prefer not to have unlimited data plans, I have incurred additional expenses in purchasing new devices in order to do so.

Those additional expenses are a thing of the past, though, since Verizon is moving away from 2 yr service contracts and towards only selling phones at full retail cost. You are not paying more for phones than anyone else now.

rowala wrote:

Moreover, I think that it is disingenuous to describe a plan as grandfathered when you increase the price significantly in order to retain the grandfathered status.

Previously you had to purchase new phones at full retail value while others could purchase at 2yr reduced contract rates. Now you have a price increase for the phone. It is not a new thing that you have to meet the restrictions to keep your grandfathered plan. People complained when they were forced to pay full retail for their phones in order to keep unlimited data. Now they are complaining about the price increase. The PLAN was grandfathered. The PRICE was not.

rowala wrote:

Given that my family has been on a Verizon Wireless plan for many years and that I also have residential FIOS service, I would expect some degree of loyalty to be exhibited by Verizon. Obviously, that was wishful thinking on my part. I guess I will need to research other providers.

Many of us have been with Verizon Wireless for many years. Many of us also have residential FIOS service. I don't do so out of loyalty, I do so because they are the best choice for my needs. When that no longer is the case, I will certainly move on to another provider.

Additionally, not everyone needs unlimited data. I used to have unlimited data on my plan with 4 lines. I gave unlimited data up in favor of shared data. NOW I use MORE data and I pay LESS each month to do so. My monthly bill is ~60% of what it would be had I kept unlimited data and I use TWICE as much data now as when I had unlimited data and can use almost twice as much as I currently do without increasing my bill at all.

0 Likes

basslakeview

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU WROTE TO Verizon re GRANDFATHERED UNLIMITED PLANS.  I also paid full price for a refurbished phone FROM VERIZON in order not to lose my 'grandfathered' status.  This cost me at least $500.  Then one day I noticed a $20 increase in my (already paying $30) charge for "unlimited data". 

I pay by auto payment and don't always notice changes, thinking Verizon would notify me by 'snail' mail of any IMPORTANT changes.

Ann154
Expert

If you had reviewed your bills every month, you would have seen the price increase notice in the bill one month before the increase became effective.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

basslakeview

To: jive-977069509-3dein...

Like I said in my message...I don't always look at my bill every month. I

know I should. I KNOW that, but I forget occasionally. And...that is why

I said that you would think Verizon would send something this important (to

their "less than 1% of customers," I was told by Verizon) to their

grandfathered customers by 'snail' mail.

Elizabeth

Ann154
Expert

I was one of those customers. I got the notification two ways. On my bill and a notification when I signed into my account during that particular billing cycle when the notice was sent. Verizon Wireless completed their responsibility to notify their customers of the price increase per the customer agreement. It isn't their fault if the customer doesn't pay attention to their bills.

It was also reported by the news outlets.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes