Google News using massive amounts of background data

kennystultz

Last night while I slept, the Google News app used somewhere between 5 and 10 gb of background data.  Yes, this happened in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. It's going to cost me $90 in data overages. A check on the web shows that I'm far from the only person this has happened to.  I've reported this to Google.  Many others have also and it seems that there is no fix for this yet.

If you use this app, you might want to think about turning off its background data usage.

If anyone has any information about this I'd love to hear about it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Google News using massive amounts of background data

Community Manager
Community Manager

kennystultz,

Waking up to find that your device has consumed 5-10GB of data is far from ideal, and I'd be reaching out as well if it happened to me. Let's work together and make sure you are set up for success moving forward, and can avoid these types of overages. I have sent you a direct message within this platform. Please respond at your earliest convenience so we can get this matter resolved.

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

JASPET31

I had the same experience on the evening of Oct 9th.

This is what I discovered after waking up on the 10th:

I immediately disabled background data for the App, but I'm still receiving news notifications nonetheless.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the screenshot of your app data usage with us, JASPET31. I know how reliant we have become on data and how valued it truly is, so fully addressing this Google News application is a must. Please fill me in with how your usage has differed after the change in your settings to disabling the background data for the app was made. I have provided a link to their contact page directly to report the issue up to their support team. You can choose the Google News application for the topic. http://spr.ly/6580DfCTy Please let me know if you have ran into any overages, since making a plan change is critical in avoiding any extra fees. I have sent you a message to your inbox in case you would like assistance in discussing alternative data plans. Akane_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

"If you have Google News installed on any of your devices, I suggest you open the app's info page in settings, go to the Data usage section, and disable Background data. Even if you haven't been affected by the bug, it's better to be safe than sorry. The app will refresh the next time you launch it, it won't do anything crazy in the background."

Google News is using up several gigs of data for some users, resulting in overages