Highlighted

Gaming charges

We don't use any gaming apps, yet we consistently get charged for Gaming data usage, usually around 6%. What apps or useage qualifies for gaming charges?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Gaming charges

You're not getting charged for game data. Verizon doesn't care if data is used through gaming or watching videos, data is data.

6% is hardly anything. Most likely you have an app that has a scoreboard system or had gaming related adverts if you don't actively game.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

AKAREN,

Knowing what apps are using your data is key. We want to make sure you know just what to expect from your monthly data. Seeing a category keep popping up when you don't remember using anything in that category would be concerning. Gaming apps would include any apps the developers have classified as games which may not always be the same thing we think of as games. Something like a brain teaser for example could often qualify.

It is also possible that an app has been placed in the wrong category by the App Store. These categories are meant to provide an idea of usage but because we rely on the app stores to report the categories they aren't always completely accurate. You can find more details of this at http://spr.ly/6584DIZ52 under step 4 of the "Understanding the Data Utilization Categories" section. Web sites that are linked in some way to gaming can often end up in this category as well.

Andrew_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

What EXACTLY are the apps?   Many apps can be turned off/disabled or uninstalled.

Google play store is not games, if that is the app in question.

The information would be on the phone, not your Verizon account

0 Likes
Highlighted

The link in Andrew_VZW's response does not work.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

The link works for me:

Data Utilization FAQs | Verizon Wireless

Are you logged into the forum when attempting to access it?

0 Likes
Highlighted

well, I'm logged in because I can read your message, no?

Eventually, I got the link to work. Even tho I was logged in when I clicked the link, I had to sign in again.

It seems, if I try to rephrase the answer, the answer is that the way the tool that categorizes the data is  not necessarily accurate. No one can tell me why I'm being charged for gaming, because Verizon doesn't know.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

What you need to understand is Verizon cannot see how you use data.  Your use is private.  The tool uses broad categories.     For an accurate and actual accounting of data use,  look at your phone, in settings under data usage.  If you have preinstalled games or other game related apps, they can be restricted to Wifi only.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

AKAREN wrote:

It seems, if I try to rephrase the answer, the answer is that the way the tool that categorizes the data is not necessarily accurate. No one can tell me why I'm being charged for gaming, because Verizon doesn't know.

Exactly! 

But your phone/phones do have accurate information.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

AKAREN, I understand your concern when it comes to your data usage. I am here to assist. When it comes to the data usage categories it doesn't show exactly what app is using the data. To get a clearer picture it is best to look at the data usage for each app on your device. What make and model device are you using?

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Covid19