Highlighted

Fraudulent Purchases

Today I logged in my bank account and noticed a charge from Verizon. I’m not a subscriber to Verizon, as it doesn’t pick up in my area. The charge reads as:

VZ WIRELESS VE VZW WEBPAY 170417 825**** Pending ACH/Check

4/18/17      $717.67

(****I removed the last few digits for security)

This was done on my business checking account. I use this account for business purchases and to pay employees. I contacted my bank right away and reported the charge. Oddly, they seemed skeptical that my account number was stolen or used in this fashion. They said since it was pending there was no way for them to stop it.

I then contacted Verizon’s customer service. I provided the numbers listed on the transaction and the customer service rep even checked orders by my last name. She seemed very interested in helping me after the fraud department basically said there was nothing that could be done. She could find nothing and told me to contact the bank again.

Then decided to check the order status myself. To my surprise, the number on the charge worked! I had to enter the number and guess at the zip code, but it did pull up a longer order number (11802105069-----, last few digits removed for security) and more information. The order was placed 4/15/2017 and is currently processing with an expected ship date of 4/21/2017.

Alright, now this is something -- or so I thought. I called Verizon back. I gave the rep the order number, which he said was too long for an order number. He said it didn’t pull anything up in their system, but I was looking at the page and it DID show something. Then I tried it again and it worked on my end. I’ve captured a copy of the screen for my records as evidence that it does show an order. He spoke with a supervisor who contacted the fraud department. They basically pushed back and told me to just let the bank handle it.

How was this person able to use my account to purchase a phone? Did they sign up for a plan with my bank account too or just buy a phone?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Fraudulent Purchases

Customer Support

@randomusername Thanks for reaching out to us about your fraud situation. I just sent you a private message please respond.

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is a screen capture of the order page that I was able to pull up.FRAUDPURCHASE.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted

Wow number one what the heck is wrong with your bank. If I called my bank and reported something like this to them and they acted skeptical when I was trying to report a fraud on my account let me just say they would not be my bank anymore business or personal. I really wouldn't expect much from Verizon but I would call the bank again. They should have your back and they do have a department for the type of problem you reported to them. I hope for your sake and piece of mind that you can get this worked out . Keep us posted please

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Your bank is the problem here to be honest.

If you say its fraud then its fraud someone stole money from you.

Was the order placed on you verizon account or just paid for with your credit card? Either way your bank should still stop the charge no matter what.

If they have a problem stopping it until after it posts then wait until then and call them back.

Highlighted

Customer Support

@randomusername Thanks for reaching out to us about your fraud situation. I just sent you a private message please respond.

JoelD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have been trying since March 17 to contact Verizon for this same issue. I have not been able to connect via phone or chat. I have received several documents in the mail with the same type of heading, and the associated charges have gone from $332 up to over $2000 in 2 weeks.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

I would be concerned receiving documents showing large charges, tcimi. We want to get to the bottom of this. Please provide more detail about the documents you are receiving. Are they addressed to you with your account number? What does the document say?

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have had this same issue on my business checking accounts and verizon has made no efforts to assist or help trace back the amounts charged even when provided with webpay confirmation number.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to resolve this issue advice is appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes