Highlighted

False data usage

VMIGUEZ69

Verizon.  You are adding false data usage to my bill.  I have the spreadsheets to back up the details if you would like to review them with me.  Whenever I have cell data turned on and am using only WiFi in my home of which I am here 95% of the time, false data appears is patterns.  Once I turn the cell data off, the fake data stops.  As soon as I turn it back on again (and not using like before), the patterns start again.  I am not using my data at 3AM every morning.  This is illegal and not a device issue.  This is a scam by Verizon to me you upgrade your plan.  Has anyone else noticed the obvious patterns of fake usage?

Labels (1)

Re: False data usage

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Many people don't realize that a cellphone can use data when you are not actively using the device. YOU may not be using data at 3AM every morning, but some apps on your device could very well be doing so depending on the settings in the apps on your device. For example, on my device my texting content and call logs are backed up onto my Google Drive every day at 2AM in the morning. I am not using data on the device at that time, but the apps on my device are using data.

There may be apps which simply ping the servers to see if there is any new information to be downloaded. This by itself uses data, a small amount but still measurable, with the possibility that even more data would be used depending on the info received by the app after checking in with its servers.

Think of all the notifications you get on your phone to notify you of a new email, message, etc... How do you think those notifications got to your device? The phone was using data without you actively using the device in order to have those notifications show up on your screen. When you wake up in the morning, are there ever any notifications on your screen when you first pick up your phone? Those notifications were downloaded, via data, overnight when you were not using your device. Some of them may have even arrived on your device at 3AM in the morning...

For example, when my daughter wakes up in the morning, there are hundreds of Tweets, Snapchats, Instagrams, etc... waiting for her to read. Even though she wasn't using the phone overnight, the device was STILL accessing data in order to download all of those messages she can't seem to live without. This is NOT false data usage.Smiley Happy

0 Likes

VMIGUEZ69

The data charges only appear when my cell data is turned on.  When it is off, all data usage stops.  Last month I turned cell data off for the last 10 days of the billing cycle to avoid overages.  During that time NO data was recorded or used.  I use WiFi for everything and don't even use apps on my phone.  It is used only for email, phone and text.  And the email uses WiFi.  This is false data.

0 Likes

VMIGUEZ69

And I must note that the categories for data usage for my phone show that I've used 22% on Maps and Navigation, but I don't drive due to a disability and I haven't even left the house since the cycle started.  Then 13% on Communication & Device Services?  I don't use anything in that category.  Web and Apps 43%?  The ONLY apps I ever use is Uber when I have something outside of the house to tend to and Facebook if I'm not at home.  That is all.  I don't use Twitter, or SnapChat, or Instagram, or whatever else is out there.  And I don't receive notices on my phone in the morning because I don't use anything.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

The data charges only appear when my cell data is turned on. When it is off, all data usage stops. Last month I turned cell data off for the last 10 days of the billing cycle to avoid overages. During that time NO data was recorded or used.

If it were "false data" it would seem that it would continue to accrue when your cellular data is turned off. Many people have claimed this to be the case for their phone.

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

I use WiFi for everything and don't even use apps on my phone. It is used only for email, phone and text. And the email uses WiFi.

This would certainly depend on the device and the settings on it. I have used more than one Samsung device in the past that would switch to cellular data if the phone determined the wifi signal was not sufficient. Why it made this choice is a mystery as the wifi signal WAS sufficient to stream Ultra HD video to my TV at any given time. Why the phone chose to use cellular data instead of wifi is anyone's guess and not something to which Verizon has control.

Additionally, "email, phone and text" are ALL apps on your phone so you actually DO use apps. Are you saying that "email, phone and text" are the ONLY apps/icons on your device's home screen? If it is an android device, I don't think that is possible unless you have the LONE android device out there without bloatware, not to mention "calculator, clock, contacts, downloads, etc..." which are ALL standard apps on devices. Even iPhones have more apps on the homescreen than the 3 you mentioned when it is first activated. Finally, even though YOU may not use apps on your device, the phone DOES use many apps which are integrated into the phones OS. THESE apps are required for the proper function of the device and CAN use data in order for the phone to work correctly.

If you have an android device, you can go into your phone's settings to see which apps are using the most data in any given month. With an iPhone, it is a bit more tricky since the data counter has to be reset each month or else you would get a data usage value since the last time it was reset.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

The ONLY apps I ever use is Uber when I have something outside of the house to tend to and Facebook if I'm not at home.

I thought you didn't use apps????

Facebook is a NOTORIOUS data hog, even when not in active use. Whenever someone says they have unknown data usage, that is one of the FIRST places I would look.

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

And I must note that the categories for data usage for my phone show that I've used 22% on Maps and Navigation, but I don't drive due to a disability and I haven't even left the house since the cycle started.

Whenever a map is displayed on a Facebook page, your device will access mapping software to display it correctly, even if you do not open up the Maps app. Displaying a photo with an embedded location in it would do the same. THAT could account for some data usage on Maps and Navigation.

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

Then 13% on Communication & Device Services? I don't use anything in that category.

Device Services could simply be background apps necessary for the proper functioning of your cell phone.

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

Web and Apps 43%?

Any time you click on a story in Facebook and it opens in a new window, the phone could very well be categorizing that as "Web".

0 Likes

VMIGUEZ69

Your "did you know" responses are the same scripted responses I received from the Verizon Customer Services chat.  Since you are obviously a Verizon representative, I will go speak with someone in person at a Verizon store.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Your assumption is incorrect. The VZW reps are clearly marked and none of those marked are associated with the community member, rcschnoor.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

VMIGUEZ69 wrote:

Your "did you know" responses are the same scripted responses I received from the Verizon Customer Services chat. Since you are obviously a Verizon representative, I will go speak with someone in person at a Verizon store.

As someone who routinely questions the validity of responses by Verizon reps, I find it interesting when someone accuses me of being one. Obviously, if someone EVER attempts to provide helpful information on a PUBLIC FORUM, they are a representative of the host company, regardless that their views are just as often are at odds with that host company.

Instead, it is always better to deflect legitimate explanations to your alleged "false data usage" accusations and instead accuse that person of being a Verizon representative. Why check into possible solutions which you can correct on your own when you can simply continue to complain?

Since it appears you are not looking for possible solutions to your problem, I wish you luck.Smiley Happy

0 Likes

AprilG01

Hello. Same issue happened to me in July and in August.
I supposedly used 30x my usual usage within 3 days of my plan, and I was at work 2 of those 3 days. When I chatted VZ customer service, there was no response or explanation. So, effective July 4th I stopped using my long-ago paid-in-full hot spot and switched to another carrier for computer use.
For the 3 days my plan has been in effect for August (8/3 - 8/6), my unlimited calls and texts phone usage shows <0.01GB of use. However, when I checked my plan use online, my data usage shows that I have used nearly all of the 8 GB allowed on my plan and that I am close to going over...in 3 days and ZERO use of their data plan. No answer when I called customer service. 

0 Likes