Highlighted

False Data Useage Fake Data Usage False Overages

EXTRACAREMAN

Verizon is scamming us. My family switched from Sprint to Verizon and our usage went from 8-10 gigs a month every month for a few years, to  25 GB a month overnight after switching to Verizon, It's a scam.

So far, the only thing I've been able to figure out is that Verizon has our phones set to use mobile data even when we are connected to our own wi-fi, that alone is making them a fortune and stealing our money.

I've tried to talk to Verizon's customer service about this and management never gets back to me.

Who else is having this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: False Data Useage Fake Data Usage False Overages

John_Getzke
Leader

Alright, I'll bite on this one.

> from 8-10 gigs a month every month for a few years, to  25 GB a month overnight after switching to Verizon, It's a scam.

Please back up your claim with some kind of evidence for us to investigate.  Evidence can be collected by setting up and using data usage monitors on your connected devices.  If you do not have any logs then you have no case to accuse VZW of scamming you.  I understands that it feels like you are getting scammed, that's why its very important to gather hard evidence, facts don't care about feelings.  Show us evidence you are actually getting scammed (by collecting and comparing logs) and the community will jump on board to help you out.

> Verizon has our phones set to use mobile data even when we are connected to our own wi-fi,

START HERE.  This sounds like a good clue to investigate and could be the true culprit.  Such a setting would be a device specific setting and not something that is controlled by Verizon, even if it happens to be set that way by default.  You can configure device settings however you want with a little research and basic troubleshooting.

> that alone is making them a fortune and stealing our money.

Managing the device is not the responsibility of Verizon.  VZW provides you with access to their network according to the terms and contract you agreed to.  How the devices are configured and maintained is up to the individual user to control.  VZW is like the water utility in data usage scenarios.  If you or anyone leave the hose on at your house the utility is going to keep pumping water to it, and bill you accordingly.  The home owner is responsible for finding and turning off any leaks.

> I've tried to talk to Verizon's customer service about this and management never gets back to me.

There are multiple ways to work with VZW support on this issue.  This is also not something that necessarily has to be escalated to a manager until you identify the real problem.  Management is only going to redirect you to another rep until all of the information has been gathered.  Once you find the problem then press for management escalation to get you to a speedier resolution.

You can talk to VZW directly over chat, phone or via an in-store rep.  If you wish to continue working with VZW then I would suggest being persistent with VZW phone reps.  Get a case number and stick to it.  Do not start multiple cases.  Do not wait for a call back.  Note that you will be contacting them, referencing the same case, in a certain number of days for updates.  This will reduce the risk of your case getting lost in the pile or a rep closing it down without providing any follow up.

Please note that VZW has access to the true data usage statistics for your line and they do not have to share that information with you with anything less than a court order.  If they say there are no problems then it is really your word against theirs and the burden is on you to prove them wrong.  This is where the personally generated logs from your own data usage monitors come into play and give you leverage to have a conversation with VZW.  I highly recommend exploring data usage monitors such as Glasswire to help you expose and see what is going on with your devices.  We don't often hear how these cases end on the forums but when we do its usually not a VZW issue.

The best way to prove billing problems is to power down the VZW device.  Data consumption cannot happen on a device that is powered off.  However, if the VZW device is powered If VZW is billing you for data usage while the device is powered off then you have real leverage to work with them.  You can compare device logs against the unbilled data usage logs from VZW to get the ball rolling.

Ann154
Expert

What are the devices involved? For smartphones have you looked at the data usage counter on the phone itself? For iPhones have you turned off wifi assist? You need to complete your own due diligence to discover what and how the data is being used.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Tootoolate

Very possible one of your devices has been Cloned! Very possible indeed! An engineer from Verizon needs to set up a ticket or claim number and get on this immediately.

Another possibility: your family members are using their devices away from the home , when there is No wi-fI connection.

I was watching movies and such while in my car , away from our wireless connection!!!!

0 Likes

AprilG01

Hello. Same issue happened to me in July and in August.
I supposedly used 30x my usual usage within 3 days of my plan, and I was at work 2 of those 3 days. When I chatted VZ customer service, there was no response or explanation. So, effective July 4th I stopped using my long-ago paid-in-full hot spot and switched to another carrier for computer use.
For the 3 days my plan has been in effect for August (8/3 - 8/6), my unlimited calls and texts phone usage shows <0.01GB of use. However, when I checked my plan use online, my data usage shows that I have used nearly all of the 8 GB allowed on my plan and that I am close to going over...in 3 days and ZERO use of their data plan. No answer when I called customer service. I will continue to share my experience with others.

0 Likes