Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.
Edge plan - pay off or upgrade?
kirkham

hello!

I have four payments left for my Edge Program until I own the phone. When I look at upgrade options, I see a trade in value for my current phone of $140. Is there a benefit to waiting until my phone is paid off? I understand at that point I will "own" the phone - but if I don't want to keep it is there a reason to wait? I'm sure there is a really obvious answer… please help. 😕

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Edge plan - pay off or upgrade?
dilbertaz

If you upgrade without paying off the existing device you have to return the device in working order, you only get a trade in if you pay-off/own the device. So the question is whether your payoff amount is worth more than the value of the phone if sold (look at swappa.com for an idea of what it is worth).

MiiHere
Leader

I'd pay it off, keep the phone and apply the month2month credit. This is assuming you're on the More Everything plan with 6+GB of data. What plan are you on currently? If the More Everything with 4GB or less of data, I'd still pay it off, sell it myself and then start a new Device Payment Plan. The reason being, I believe you'll be paying $20 for your line access fee, instead of the $25.

0 Likes
BrownSugar67
Novice

EXISTING customers don't have to pay upgrade fee if they are upgrading there phone only new customers or if your adding a line to your account

0 Likes
MiiHere
Leader

I'm talking about the line access fee, which on the new DPP are $20 in exchange for paying full price for the phone. If they are on the More Everything plan with 4GB or less of data, and have an Edge agreement their line access fee is $25. OR it's $15 if they have 6GB or more. Depending on what plan I had would decide what I wanted to do.

I wasn't referencing the upgrade fee in any manner as it doesn't apply here.

0 Likes