Highlighted

Early Edge question from 2 year contract

My 2 year contract on my device is up on 06/12/15. I am eligible for early edge, but do not want to turn in my device. What is the charge to keep the device that I essentially already paid for? Also, would it make more sense to pay the ETF of $140, then start a new line on edge and get the $100 credit essentially making my ETF $40? I know the credit takes a couple billing cycles, but can absorb the temporary bill increase. And if I do ETF and start a new contract, what would be the odds of keeping my number?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Early Edge question from 2 year contract

Sr. Leader

BrianPr wrote:

My 2 year contract on my device is up on 06/12/15. I am eligible for early edge, but do not want to turn in my device. What is the charge to keep the device that I essentially already paid for? If you do not turn in a phone when signing up for Early Edge, I believe the charge is ~$299.

Also, would it make more sense to pay the ETF of $140, then start a new line on edge and get the $100 credit essentially making my ETF $40? I know the credit takes a couple billing cycles, but can absorb the temporary bill increase. And if I do ETF and start a new contract, what would be the odds of keeping my number? Slim to none.

It would probably make more sense to simply pay full retail for the phone, then when your contract is up you could add the month to month discount to your account if you are on the More Everything plan. $15/month discount on line access fee if under 6 GB/month. $25/month discount on line access fee if 6 GB or more.Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Non-return fee is $299 - probably not worth you keeping your existing phone if you want to upgrade early, OR wait until June and keep your current device.

The ETF only comes into play if you LEAVE Verizon. What you are attempting is to beat the system, and/or avoid penaties for failure to complete your contract. Either do the early edge and turn in your device (or pay $299) or wait until June. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

elliew wrote:

Non-return fee is $299 - probably not worth you keeping your existing phone if you want to upgrade early, OR wait until June and keep your current device.

The ETF only comes into play if you LEAVE Verizon. What you are attempting is to beat the system, and/or avoid penaties for failure to complete your contract. Either do the early edge and turn in your device (or pay $299) or wait until June.

You do not have to leave Verizon in order to pay an ETF. You simply have to cancel a line under contract before the contract has been completed.

The OP could do the following, but would not be able to keep their current number. Open up a new line of service and purchase a phone on Edge for that line. After the new line had been opened, cancel the original line and pay the $140 ETF for that line. The OP gets to keep their original device and has a new line(with new phone number) with the Edge device active on it. The OP would lose their original number BUT would get to keep their device and only have to pay the $140 ETF for the cancelled line. Verizon will not let the OP transfer that number to the new line of service.

Instead of informing Verizon to cancel the original line of service, they could always port the number out to Google Voice and use the number in conjunction with their new line of service. This way when people call the old number, it would still ring on the new line of service. I believe there is a $20 fee from Google to port in a number. Porting the old number out would cancel the old line of service. The OP would simply have to install Google Voice onto their device in order to make calls thru Google Voice using the old number. It is possible the OP would even be able to port their old number onto their new line of service from Google Voice but am unsure how that would work.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Agree, buy the new device outright now if you need one. You will then get a monthly discount on access fee starting your contract is up. If you calculate out your 2 year cost, that will be the cheapest option right now.

0 Likes