Re: Does Safety Mode work well?

LARROS93

Do you have to TURN the safety feature on? It doesn't kick in automatically.  What is considered Multimedia where you would notice the slower speed. just videos? would it affect something like googlemaps? I am considering switching to the 2GB plan, I go over  2GB by just a tiny bit every month so I would be in saftey mode every month, but not enough to keep paying for data I never use - unless it truly is deducting from next months allotment.  It is discouraging to get conflicting information from Verizon staff.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

You must manually turn it on once. Then it stay on until you turn it off. You do not need to turn it on every billing cycle, just the one time.

Multimedia would be images, sound, and video. Video is most impacted, audio to some degree will either buffer a long time or keep starting and stopping to buffer. Small images are not a problem, but a web page that has lots of images will be significantly slowed when at the 128 Kbps speed of safety mode.

You can be 100% confident it is not deducting from next months allotment.

Based on your usage, Safety Mode is a great fit for you and will prevent overages and you won't have the pain of slow speeds for a very long time since you usually only go over by a bit. There is no limit on how much you can use the slow speed -- that is the reason for Verizon using "limitless" in their recent advertising.

0 Likes

L_E_

So, if what I was told in Live Chat, and referenced as coming from a supervisor, was incorrect in explaining why my new data for this month is short (23.23 as opposed to 24.00), who can I contact to find out why I was shorted at the start of this cycle?  I just want to make sure I know how to manage my account so this does not happen again.  I am just trying to find out what happened. 

0 Likes

dimap52

I think what might have happened here is that the OP's last session rolled over into the net billing cycle so he actually used new data at full speed. Just my guess, as I don't know if he was using his data right at midight when the cycle rolled over.

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

I would use call support and try again.  The chat person had no idea what happened, and neither did the supervisor so they invented the reason.  

0 Likes

L_E_

UPDATE 9/30/2016:

Today I did another Live Chat and this time the rep said Verizon was doing a system update; they are aware of the glitch and it will be fixed.

So, using Safety Mode should not count against the next cycle of data.  I will keeping an eye on my account to see if my starting data for the month is corrected.

Thanks all for the responses on this.

(BTW, this isn't the first time I've had incorrect information from Live Chat.)

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

L.E.,

This is alarming to read that you’re saying you were shorted any data from the next bill cycle. I’m here to help make sure that did not happen. I’m sending you a Private Message so that I can gather much needed information to assist further. Please respond back to me in the Private Message to continue.

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

dlwoods1

I have Safety Mode enabled and it's about to enter into that mode. I've never used or had to use this Safety Mode. Usually our 8GB is just fine. I'm wondering whether or not to purchase the $15 1GB option for the 2 weeks we have left in this billing cycle OR to use this Safety Mode and **hope** that it goes well. I absolutely do not want next month's 8GB affected in any way, shape or form. I'm unsure how to proceed but I need to decide fast since we're basically tapped out of data for this billing cycle with about 12 days or so to go until next cycle kicks in. Help!

Tags (1)
0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, dlwoods1! We want to make sure to provide you with the assistance that you need. We know it's important to have enough data for the rest of the cycle, and we are glad to read that you're taking advantage of the Safety Mode service. To answer your question, it will depend on your needs. Remember that with Safety Mode your data will slow down, and some services like music and video may suffer some buffering. We can recommend to try it out, and if it doesn't work out for you, we can certainly look at other options. We hope this helps.  

AaronS_VZW

0 Likes