Does Safety Mode work well?

Verly

I have been struggling with kids to stay within our data limit and wonder if Safety Mode is too cumbersome or restricting.  I would like to keep data at 6gb which we have been able to maintain pretty regularly.  Then, we'll go through a period where I have to increase limits before the overage hits.  Sigh .....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Does Safety Mode work well?

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

L.E. wrote:

One thing to note is that the time Safety Mode was being used, even at slower speed, that data usage was charged against my available usage when the new usage became available. I did have a Live Chat and was told any data used during Safety Mode gets charged against the next month's allowed, albeit at a lower rate because of the speed. From looking at the amount charged against my data, I'm not sure if it was charged at the same rate or lower.

This is very interesting as it is not how Safety Mode is explained on the Verizon website.

Safety Mode FAQs | Verizon Wireless

IF Safety Mode gets charged against next months data allowance, I don't see why the speed would be lowered as you are paying for normal speeds for that ENTIRE allowance for the next month.

I don't have the Verizon Plan, but would be interested if others have had this same experience with data used during a Safety Mode slowdown was charged against next month's data allowance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

L_E_

I just used Safety Mode yesterday.  I had it turned "On" so it kicked in automatically when I reached the end of my data plan/bonus plan available.  I use the hot spot on my IPhone 6 for on-line computer usage.

The speed is extremely slow in Safety Mode, which worked for me because I was doing e-mail (using a very old program without a lot of dancing/singing ads).  I did have a download in process and what would normally take 15 minutes took an hour.

I did not do a speedtest while Safety Mode was active.  It definitely would not be fast enough for videos, youtubes, etc., maybe not even music.

One thing to note is that the time Safety Mode was being used, even at slower speed, that data usage was charged against my available usage when the new usage became available.  I did have a Live Chat and was told any data used during Safety Mode gets charged against the next month's allowed, albeit at a lower rate because of the speed.  From looking at the amount charged against my data, I'm not sure if it was charged at the same rate or lower.

If you consistently run low on data at the end of the cycle, using Safety Mode may not help much depending on how much gets charged against the next allotment of data.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

L.E. wrote:

One thing to note is that the time Safety Mode was being used, even at slower speed, that data usage was charged against my available usage when the new usage became available. I did have a Live Chat and was told any data used during Safety Mode gets charged against the next month's allowed, albeit at a lower rate because of the speed. From looking at the amount charged against my data, I'm not sure if it was charged at the same rate or lower.

This is very interesting as it is not how Safety Mode is explained on the Verizon website.

Safety Mode FAQs | Verizon Wireless

IF Safety Mode gets charged against next months data allowance, I don't see why the speed would be lowered as you are paying for normal speeds for that ENTIRE allowance for the next month.

I don't have the Verizon Plan, but would be interested if others have had this same experience with data used during a Safety Mode slowdown was charged against next month's data allowance.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

@L.E. We want you to get all of your data. I'm here to help. With our Safety Mode it would only slow the speeds to 128(kbps) for the billing cycle you are currently in. This would not count against your next months data usage. You also would have the option to change to a larger plan or purchase a data boost for $15.00 for that billing period. You can find more details here http://vz.to/2c8GlI9. Please let me know if you have any questions.

AdrienneP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

rcschnoor wrote:

I DO have the Verizon plan, with Safety Mode on (though I am fervently hoping this doesn't need to be activated!!).  I've had some recent data spikes and we are likely to hit our 4GB limit this month, and I would be very interested to see where the data used during safety mode counts going forward.

Taking out of the next month's allowance does not seem right at all - on a couple of levels.  So although I'm hoping I don't need  safety mode this billing cycle, I would like to know how the data gets accounted for.

0 Likes

L_E_

AdrienneP_VZW

I just went through this situation this morning during Live Chat, which involved the rep asking a supervisor.  If you can give me an e-mail or msg address, I would be happy to send you the entire transcript of the discussion. 

According to that chat, "with the safety mode being enabled, it allows your data speed to slow down, but instead of overages any data that is used over takes from the next billing cycle.."

This information is not available in FAQ page on Safety Mode.

0 Likes

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

Wow, if that's true then it's really wrong - you won't get your full allotment the next month at regular speed in that case.  I thought the whole point was that you don't get overages but you get very slow speed to deal with.  I hope I don't have to find out by getting data taken from my regular allotment ... can someone who has used safety mode with the slow speed weigh in with what happened to their data allotment the following month?  This is troubling....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

L.E., I understand your concern in regards with Safety Mode. Let me put your reservations to rest. With the Safety Mode feature, it reduces your speed once your 4G LTE data plan allotment has run out to prevent overages. Once your billing cycle resets, 4G LTE speeds will resume with a full plan allotment. Regardless of how much data is used on Safety Mode, that amount is not deducted from your next month’s 4G LTE data allotment. I’m sorry for the misinformation provided on this matter as this is incorrect.

MarkP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Weth
Sr. Leader

L.E. wrote:

This is not true about safety mode. I have used safety mode and no data was charged to the next month.

The speed is slow --ok for email and if there is a simple web page. Any page with multimedia is excruciatingly slow.

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

Thanks Weth​ - good to hear!

0 Likes