Does Safety Mode Come On Before I Use My Carry Over Data?

Okay, so I used up my monthly data and my phone switched over to the "carryover" data from last month. BUT my data plays for 15 seconds and then buffers for 20 seconds, plays for 25 seconds, buffers for 30 seconds, etc., etc., etc.   I thought "what good is carry-over data if it constantly buffers?".  I saw that, (because I used up my regular data), I was in "safety mode" and that means that my speed is reduced.  So, I went into my account to try and turn off the "safety mode" so I could, hopefully, use my carryover data without it slowing down and constantly buffering.  I clicked off the "safety mode" and got a message that says "safety mode will continue for the rest of this billing cycle and then you won't be covered next month unless  you turn it back on"...  Therefore I do not have the choice to turn off safety mode, which means that my carryover data is useless - unless I want to sit through CONSTANT buffering.  QUESTION:  How is this a plus for me as a customer???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: CARRY-OVER A SCAM?

Sr. Leader

How much is your plan, and how much carryover data did you have?  My understanding is that safety mode kicks in when yo have no data left - you have used all your bonus, plan, carryover and gift data, THEN safety mode slows data use.

I have not yet had to use carryover, but I thought it would be at 4G speeds until it was gone ... if ti's slow speed, that doesn't seem right.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

How much is your plan, and how much carryover data did you have?  My understanding is that safety mode kicks in when yo have no data left - you have used all your bonus, plan, carryover and gift data, THEN safety mode slows data use.

I have not yet had to use carryover, but I thought it would be at 4G speeds until it was gone ... if ti's slow speed, that doesn't seem right.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

I click on "My Verizon" from my homepage on my phone; I skroll down one page and it says "We've got you covered.  You're in Safety Mode."

I skroll down to the next page and it says "You have 12.22 GB of Carryover Data." I click on "View Details" and it says "Here's what you carried over from last month: 0.01/12.22 (which I take to mean I have used 0.01 of the 12.22 carried over.  Looking at it now, it could mean either plus or minus, so it is explained poorly.  It could mean I have used 0.01 or I have 0.01 left of my carryover amount.  There is a bar that highlights the amount but it could be taken as used amount or amount left.  Very confusing.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Okay, so I just upped my plan by 8 GB and it says I have 8.01 GB remaining, so that means that the carryover information page is showing what is LEFT and not what portion I have used of the carryover.  This answers my question but it was/is still confusing.  I wouldn't know the answer for sure unless I had purchased more data.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

MSFIXALL, we are glad you were able to figure out what was going on. Safety Mode does only kick in once you are done using your normal plan data and Carryover data. If you wish to continue to use data at normal speeds, after your plan is done, you have the option to increase your plan, or buy a 1GB data boost. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away, we are here to help.

JavierMD_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Highlighted

It does seem like a scam. I had the EXACT same issue. When I ran out of data from my plan my phone went into safety mode and slowed almost to a stop even though I still had 16GB of carry over. Why Verizon? This is not fair to the customer. Wouldn't this be considered Data Throttling and isn't this illegal? 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Going into Safety Mode when you still have Carryover Data is certainly not part of the plan. Safety Mode should only activate and reduce data speed once all data has been used, and that's to avoid overage charges after the data is used.

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes