Highlighted

Do I still have early upgrade eligibility if my device has minor screen damage?

I'm nearing the payoff requirement for my Samsung Galaxy S7, which has some very minor separation(?) of the screen at the very top, and a tiny (maybe 1-2mm) crack in the side of the screen glass - barely noticeable.  Would Verizon accept this as a return to "Edge Up" (not sure if they call it that anymore) at the 50% level required for the Samsung, or will they require a full 100% payoff?  The device is in perfect working order - no issues.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Early upgrade eligibility (on device payment plan) with very minor screen damage?

Sr. Leader

My advice - pay off the device, get your new device by whatever method works for you (new device payment through Verizon, pay outright to Verizon for brand new phone, third party, buy used from swappa, eBay), and then sell your used phone to recoup some of the cost if you wish.  You can also keep the old phone as a backup ...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Early upgrade eligibility (on device payment plan) with very minor screen damage?

Expert

No, they won't accept it. That is physical damage. You will have to pay the entire remainder of the balance before you can enter into a device payment agreement.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

My advice - pay off the device, get your new device by whatever method works for you (new device payment through Verizon, pay outright to Verizon for brand new phone, third party, buy used from swappa, eBay), and then sell your used phone to recoup some of the cost if you wish.  You can also keep the old phone as a backup ...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the advice!  That seems like the best route.  One more shot in the dark here - I don't suppose getting a screen replacement or new/refurb phone through my Best Buy/Geek Squad insurance would pan out either, if I still wanted to trade in/upgrade with Verizon before the 100% payoff, would it?  I think I've read that they check the device ID and I'm guessing BB wouldn't replace it with something eligible.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Regardless, you will get more for "trade in" by selling it yourself than what Verizon will give you  as a trade in allowance.  Having the screen repaired will add to the value you will get when YOU sell it.

0 Likes