Highlighted

Do I live in a "dead zone"?

mobius1

Ever since moving into my house 2 years ago, I have had the worst signal reception (Youngtown, AZ 85363).  I cut in and out on people and get dropped calls quite often.  I've upgraded my device recently, thinking it was my Samsung Galaxy S5 that was having issues (I have a Samsung Note 5 now) but that does not seem to be the case.  The only thing I can think is: Do I live in a network "dead zone"?

I've had other people with other networks that have visited or stayed for an extended period of time and had no network issues.  Quite frankly, it's becoming tiresome to hear and makes me want to switch to a different network on that basis alone!  I've been with Alltel until Verizon took over and have been with Verizon since, never experiencing any issues.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Do I live in a "dead zone"?

Ann154
Expert

It the issue just in the your house or it is in the neighborhood?  There could be several factors at play affecting the signal.  The line of sight from you to the tower could have multiple thing blocking and reducing the signal.  The terrain especially hilly areas.  The trees can, but in Arizona palm tree would be less of an issue then the leafy variety.  The construction of the buildings between you and the tower.  Thick walls, electrical wiring, steel beams can all reduce the strength of the signal.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

mobius1

I would say neighborhood, because I can be out in my backyard or even in the driveway on the phone with somebody and get a dropped call or start getting garbled.  There really isn't anything as far as flora is concerned that could potentially be a root of the problem (heh, pardon the pun) - there is another thought I've been told a few times in the past: High tension towers.

I live about a mile from some high tension towers, but again: I've had guests/friends/family that are on other networks tell me they have no issues with service.  I literally just looked and I'm at 2 bars on 3G, right now.  People tell me they get excellent service and are getting 4G LTE!

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Do you still have an Alltel plan?  Have you tried re-seating the SIM card?  What is the network mode set to on your phone?

High tension electrical lines could possibly affect the signal.  The other carrier's tower might be broadcasting their signal from a different direction.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Mobius1, thanks for bringing this to our attention and our goal is for you to have the best service possible. We value your loyalty here with us and the last thing we want is to lose you as a customer. Let's work together on finding a solution to this problem you are experiencing. Does service improve is other areas? Other Verizon Wireless customers experiencing the same issue?

GersonG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

mobius1

Alltel hasn't been around for years, so it's not that.  I suppose I could try re-seating the SIM, but being that it's a relatively new phone, it shouldn't be an issue (one would think).

I did just look at 'Network mode' and it's on GLOBAL.  There are 2 other options: LTE/CDMA and LTE/GSM/UMTS.  I'm unfamiliar with those and will do some investigating, unless a suggestion is made.

0 Likes

mobius1

Service does improve in other areas.  I could almost guarantee that when I am away from my neighborhood, my signal strengthens.  I'm not sure about other Verizon users, I'll have to look into that where I can.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

You could still have an Alltel plan even years after the merger was finalized.

The phone should use the LTE/CDMA mode. Global and LTE/GSM/UMTS are optimized for GSM networks.

0 Likes

Amydj

I just moved to the northern part of Phoenix a month ago. I have been a Verizon customer for over 15 years and have never had coverage issues. I too wonder if I live in a dead zone. I have 1 bar most of the time but occasionally I’ll get 2 bars. My backyard I will get 2 bars. If I don’t load a destination into my GPS in the House I will have to wait until I am down the street in order for the GPS to pick up the signal so I feel like the neighborhood is affected. I am at the end of a cal du sac so I have nothing blocking the one side of my house. I have major power lines several miles away. Of course when I tried calling the 1-800 number at 8:10 pm PST, and the message says that they are open until 9PM they don’t state EST!  Online chat didn’t understand “dead zone” so I got no where there. My friend in the same neighborhood has AT&T and doesn’t have this problem. I see switching networks in my future!

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

Amydj, please reach out to us in a Private Message via Facebook, or follow/Direct Message us via Twitter to delve into this issue and find some answers for you! StephannieP_VZW

0 Likes