Disappearing Data

JMGR

Not understanding how all of my data was used up within 8 days! I have not done anything different in the last week--no streaming, no downloading. My utilization indicates 2% for gaming but I have no games on my phone! Is there any way to get to the bottom of this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Disappearing Data

Iyeramirez

I’m having the same issue. Saturday I had 3.60 gigs of data by Tuesday I had 1.6. I had both my likes shut off cellular data on apps. That makes no sense when we’re always on WiFi. So I called Verizon a bit ago and they said to go online and check my data log. Which I did just now. And it shows I’ve been using data everyday through out the day. Which is strange since Monday I disabled everytning to not use data. So how the [removed] am I using data? im now down to .77 makes no sense at all.

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Iyeramirez

Lines*

0 Likes
Highlighted

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

What phone do you have?  If Android, you can look at the data usage breakdown on the phone to see which app(s) is using the most data.

Typical data usage culprits: 

• Using cellular data when you think you are using wifi (with an iPhones, wifi assist should be OFF)
  • Apps that automatically play videos or rely heavily on video (Facebook, snapchat, YouTube, etc)
  • Backup that occurs over cellular rather than wifi connection

If your phone or apps have done any recent updates, go into your settings and re-verify that you have things set to your liking; I've found that updates sometimes reset the defaults to use cellular data instead of wifi, and I need to set my preferences back to use wifi.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

JMGR,

Knowing what is using your data is a big deal. We don't want you to have any surprises. Changes in use are a big deal. Utilization is an estimate and sometimes there can be a bit of confusion over what category an app falls into but it is mostly accurate. The 2% game usage though would be a small amount of what has been used.

What categories show as using the most data? What phone do you have?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

JMGR

I am using an iPhone 7. Categories using the most data were:

Web & Apps 52% (use Google, Dictionary app, Instagram, news & weather apps

only on wi-fi)

Video 18% (never watch videos except maybe quick clips on FB or Instagram

when on wi-fi only)

Social Media & Networking 11%

My concern is that I almost always use my phone only when wi-fi is

available. I've turned cellular off for everything except for phone,

messages, and weather apps. Facetime is set to wi-fi only. I download

podcasts to listen to but never stream music or podcasts. I recently

downloaded IOS 11 and don't know if maybe some settings were changed due to

this update. Maybe my wi-fi is the issue, I don't know. My real concern is

that all of my data was used up within 8 days of my new billing cycle which

seems ridiculous and I don't know how this happened. I have already updated

my Verizon plan to increase the amount of data I have so that hopefully

something like this never happens again.

Thanks for your time & effort.

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:18 AM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We understand why you're concerned over the sudden usage at the beginning of your bill cycle. The data utilization categories are very generalized since your usage is private. However, the plan data is only used by data reported as being used by your phone. You mentioned that you have some limitations on the cellular data usage. We recommend ensuring that WiFi Assist is turned off (Settings > Cellular > WiFi Assist) or turning Cellular Data off completely when connected to WiFi to make sure that your device is not falling back on the mobile network in case it loses its WiFi connection. We also recommend checking what your phone is reporting as using the data. Reset Statistics by going to Settings > Cellular > Reset Statistics on the first day of your bill cycle to ensure you get an accurate count of what's being used.

ShawnteJ_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hogger22

same thing happening to me now usage is 10 times more now for same information, don't know why but it is funny our smtoms are the same..

0 Likes
Highlighted

stef7

If you have an iPhone, go to Settings | Cellular. You'll see what is consuming cellular data. You can reset statistics if you like, and you can enable/disable various apps to use cellular data.

If you have an Android, go to Settings | Data Usage. Enable Mobile Data (so it can track mobile / cellular data use). Exit Settings, go back in and you'll have 2 tabs, one for Mobile (Cellular Data), one for WiFi. On either tab, when you scroll down, you'll see the programs sorted for each, top consumer to bottom least.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hogger22, it's important that we figure out where your data is going. How long has this been going on? What model phone do you have?

JoelR_VZW

0 Likes