Highlighted

Disable international calling-

How do I disable international calling on my phone- I lhave moved to Ecuador- iPhones that are Ft me or calling  from the states are showing up with exorbitant fees. How do I prevent this? I thought ft was free between devices? Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Disable international calling-

Customer Support

Shannon, allow me to shed a little light on your situation.  Yes, you are correct.  WiFi usage on your device does not bill on your wireless plan.  Any roaming charges you are receiving would only be as a result of your device making a cellular voice or data connection.  You can still be charged global roaming charges if cellular voice and data roaming are enabled, even when connected to WiFi.  This is why I recommended disabling the roaming features or disabling cellular data for each specific app to prevent unwanted roaming charges.  We need to figure out exactly what calls or data services on your device is making the cellular connections.

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

We wish you well in Ecuador, paddles4.  Do you still have Verizon service since you moved? FaceTime is done over the data network if you are not using WiFi. That means if you are roaming internationaly with a Verizon plan you will be charged for the international roaming rates. I can see how that would be a shocking bill for you.

We can check on your blocking options which can also be managed via the My Verizon online account.

TamaraH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have continued with my verizon plan, and on ft with wifi I am being charged 1.79 a minute for the ft call, I am also getting charges for iMessages that I understood to be at no charge between iPhone users. Please advise.....

Thank you,

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Shannon, I can definitely understand  your concerns and I would like to help you prevent these unexpected roaming charges.

You can disable cellular data for these two specific applications (FaceTime and iMessages).  http://vz.to/1M3uom8  This will prevent these applications from incurring any cellular data charges while roaming.  Which model iPhone are you using?

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

iPhone 6, I use both of these features for work as I understood there was no additional charge under my contract. If I disable them, what features are available at no charge under my plan for calls and messaging. Please advise

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Highlighted

In addition,

Why am I roaming if I am using wifi?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Thanks for clarifying, paddles4!  You will incur roaming charges anytime your device connects to a cellular connection outside of the U.S.  What plan are you currently on?  Check out our International Trip Planner here: http://bit.ly/OFyn7n and our global services here: http://vz.to/1MthH3X.

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

The wifi I use here is Claro. I understood if I am connected to wifi I am not roaming. Is this incorrect. I spoke with a customer service agent prior to my trip and they assured me wifi would be considered under my contract with ft and iMessage. Is this incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

Shannon, allow me to shed a little light on your situation.  Yes, you are correct.  WiFi usage on your device does not bill on your wireless plan.  Any roaming charges you are receiving would only be as a result of your device making a cellular voice or data connection.  You can still be charged global roaming charges if cellular voice and data roaming are enabled, even when connected to WiFi.  This is why I recommended disabling the roaming features or disabling cellular data for each specific app to prevent unwanted roaming charges.  We need to figure out exactly what calls or data services on your device is making the cellular connections.

AnthonyTa_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

It would have been nice if this light had been shed during my conversation with your verizon agent 3 months ago. I wiuldblikebto know if I can back purchase a international plan that would help me cover some of these charges. Had I been informed of these steps during my prior inquiry with the verizon agent, I would have followed these steps and never have incurred these charges. Please advise-

Thank you,

Shannon

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes