Highlighted

Difficulty upgrading

mary61954

Today has been the most disappointing day I have had as a Verizon customer of more than 12 years and the worst customer service experience I have received as a paying customer. Apparently the $1,400.00+ I pay per year, and my loyalty for the past 12 years is not valued.

Recently I moved to an office building where my iPhone 4S would not receive service. This is a serious issue as I have two children who need to be able to contact me. On May 6, I contacted Verizon Wireless and asked that since my upgrade date was only 20 days away, could I possibly upgrade early? 20 days early after 12 years of service?

I was told the earliest I could upgrade was May 19, as a courtesy, 7 days before my contract was up. Keep in mind I have a second phone line for my son which was activated in December so I am already locked into Verizon. The representative didn't really seem to care that my issue was NO SERVICE from an old phone on an old 3G network. My hope is that a 4G/LTE network phone will allow me to receive the service I am paying for.

Today, May 18, I called a local Verizon AUTHORIZED DEALER, who told me he could upgrade me today. I took time off work and spent an hour in the store while he made earnest attempts to activate an iPhone 6 for me. After several calls to customer service from his end, they said I could not upgrade until at least tomorrow. Finally I took the phone from him and said, it's less than 24 hours, I am here at the store, the new phone is sitting in front of me, can you possibly make an exception? The answer was NO. My alternatives were to buy the Edge program (why on earth would I do that when I had less than 24 hours before I could upgrade) or they could mail me a phone TODAY. So I could receive a phone TODAY from Verizon directly, but not from an authorized retailer? 

Whether or not the retailer made an error whether I could upgrade today, because he is an authorized Verizon retailer, his word should have been honored and I should have been able to get a new phone today which would allow me to receive the wireless service that I am paying for. I should not be paying over $120.00 to look at my phone and see "NO SERVICE."

One day. Less than 24 hours. And Verizon will not allow a loyal customer to upgrade to receive proper service.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Difficulty upgrading

flutterfly8497

Paying for service for 12 years doesn't merit special treatment. You pay that $1400 per year for cell service you receive. Verizon used to allow early upgrades, but not anymore. Your contract is for 24 months, not 23 months and 10 days. There are alternatives when service is spotty,,,you could activate a different phone if you have one temporarily, or have your children call your office number instead of your cell number. You could buy a phone elsewhere, like eBay or swappa, and not have a contract at all.

If you were told you could upgrade on the 19th, why was it so imperative for you to do so yesterday? After all, as you said, it's only one more 24 hour day.

0 Likes

Snn5
Sr. Leader

If you had no service in a 3G area, you definitely would struggle even more if you were trying to get 4G LTE only service in the same area.  Point being, a new phone wouldn't help you get service in an area with no service.  Plus, Verizon doesn't guarantee signal in all areas of the coverage map, especially indoors.

0 Likes

MiiHere
Leader

Others are right, a different phone isn't going to help your service. I know a couple people who use Mobile Phone Service Boosters; one was used for At&T and the other Verizon. You'd have to do some research to find out which would be fit your needs, but assuming you plan to be in that office for a long time and folks can't call you on a main line it may be your best option.

susan1213

I totally agree with you.  Over my past 14-15 years as a customer,   with all 5 lines activated (now 7 ) I have become more and more annoyed with Verizon's lack of customer service.  Big monopolies do not need to be nice to their customers....

As far as the responses regarding your children being able to reach you and the suggestion that they can call the office phone.... well.... perhaps this person is not familiar with children and their needs.  I know the major reason my 5 kids and I have  cell phones is to be able to be in contact 24/7.  Emergencies, curfews, emotional needs...as well as entertainment through funny on going family group texts.   What better use for a cell phone.

Hang in there... I think most other companies are worse.

sisbis

We have been considering changing services and after that excellent example of customer service; we might.

However, in 20 years of business, we haven't had any problems. I've always been allowed to terminate early for $20. What a shame ya'll have discontinued that. When you pay the most money for service in this area , there should be some advantages.

0 Likes

flutterfly8497

I actually am "familiar with children and their needs," being a parent myself. Everyone in my household has both my cell AND work phone numbers, in case I cannot be reached using one or the other. I also have the cell/work/school numbers for my husband and son. However, this doesn't guarantee I can reach, or be reached by, them 24/7.  Perhaps you don't remember the days when you would leave home to go to the store, a movie, wherever, and were COMPLETELY unreachable until you returned home. If the OP requires constant, guaranteed contact with their children, the only way to ensure that is to bring them along everywhere.

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

susan1213 wrote:

As far as the responses regarding your children being able to reach you and the suggestion that they can call the office phone.... well.... perhaps this person is not familiar with children and their needs.  I know the major reason my 5 kids and I have  cell phones is to be able to be in contact 24/7.  Emergencies, curfews, emotional needs...as well as entertainment through funny on going family group texts.   What better use for a cell phone.

Hang in there... I think most other companies are worse.

I agree with flutterfly8497. ALSO being a parent, I am familiar with children and their needs. My wife/children ALSO have both my cell and office numbers. They also have both my wife's cell and office(s) numbers. They also have my/wifes office/personal email. They also have my home number. They also have my in-laws cell/home numbers. They also have 911. In all my time being a parent, I have had FEW calls which could not have waited until I replied to a voicemail, of which I am notified via text/email immediately. Those few calls "emergency" calls ALSO could have been handled by OTHER people who could have been contacted "in case of emergency", which is why my children have those OTHER numbers. For emergencies! Most families have FEW if ANY emergencies in the course of a day and MOST of those emergencies are not really emergencies OR can be handled by some of my children's OTHER emergency contacts if they cannot reach me.

Finally, calling ME for an emergency would take precious time from the response of ACTUAL emergency aid such as calling 911. For me to respond to an emergency of my children, it would take 30 minutes for me to drive home and address the situation from my office(which would most likely result in ME calling 911) while it would take 911 about 5-6 minutes to respond at the door of my home or in any other location my children may be. In my mind, I know which is the appropriate EMERGENCY number to call.Smiley Happy  Of course, that is coming from someone who has children and is familiar with their needs.  It is ALSO coming from someone who has elderly in-laws living close by and is familiar with their needs.

Those OTHER items which can't wait, such as "entertainment through funny on going family group texts", I can see why it is important to keep in touch 24/7.

0 Likes