Did the Verizon salesman lie to me?

RYABAR12

Hi there,

A couple months ago I went to the Clarksville, IN, location and bought a iPhone. I'm only 18 so I didn't have good enough credit to be on a contract, so the salesman informed me that I would have to buy the phone up front for around 500 to 600 dollars. He told me though, that if I paid my bill until the end of the billing contract (at the time he said it was a year, remember this later) on time, I would get 400 dollars back when the contract was up. Well recently I looked online and my contract doesn't end until 2018! Two years from when I got the phone. He also didn't seem to give me anything that would indicate that I would receive 400 dollars then.

Was I lied to? If so, is there anything I can do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Did the Verizon salesman lie to me?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

I don't think the salesman "lied" so much as there was a miscommunication and confusion over terminology.

If he stated you would get $400 back in a year, then that's a deposit (due to no credit history) - and after a year of on time payments (NO late payments, or the one year clock starts over) then the deposit is returned to you.

If that $400 is part of the $500 - $600 you paid for the phone, then you actually paid $100-$200 for the phone and the rest was a deposit, and now you are on a "contract" for two years.  Technically though, there are no more contracts - do you have a device payment?  I'm thinking the $100-$200 was a down payment, and you are paying the balance off over two years ...

RYABAR12

The only things I pay for are the data plan and the line and protection fees.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

RYABAR12, thank you for joining the Verizon family. We strive to provide our customers with truthful information. I will look into this for you. It sounds like you were required to pay a security deposit. I am sending you a private message, so that I can help get this matter resolved.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

RYABAR12

This has yet to be sorted out

0 Likes

RYABAR12

still haven't had any solution

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

RYABAR12 wrote:

Hi there,

A couple months ago I went to the Clarksville, IN, location and bought a iPhone. I'm only 18 so I didn't have good enough credit to be on a contract, so the salesman informed me that I would have to buy the phone up front for around 500 to 600 dollars. He told me though, that if I paid my bill until the end of the billing contract (at the time he said it was a year, remember this later) on time, I would get 400 dollars back when the contract was up. Well recently I looked online and my contract doesn't end until 2018! Two years from when I got the phone. He also didn't seem to give me anything that would indicate that I would receive 400 dollars then.

No one would be able to answer your question with the information you have given. You say you were told you would get $400 back after a year. That sounds like a deposit to me. You say you paid $500 to $600 for your device. How much DID you pay? Was it $500 or was it $600. Or was it something else?

You say you pay for the data plan, line fee and protection fees(is this insurance?) What is your data allowance? What is your data cost? What is your line fee. If your line fee is $40, you are on a 2 yr service contract and the price you paid for the phone was $400 LESS than the amount you provided at the time of purchase PLUS a $400 deposit. This $400 deposit would be returned to you after 12 months of consecutive ON TIME AND IN FULL payments on your bill. If you are late ONE TIME, that counter starts over again from ZERO. Have you made all of your payments ON TIME AND IN FULL? Make sure you continue to do so if you want that $400 back after 1 yr.

Of course, if you log into your MyVerizon account, receipts would be available for your purchase, whether or not you are on a 2yr service contract OR 2 yr payment plan. Where did you purchase the device? I can't imagine you opened a new account at Verizon and was able to enter into a 2yr service contract as they no longer offer those to new customers, or so I thought. If you purchased at Best Buy(or similar), I believe you can still enter into a new 2yr service contract when a new customer.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The deposit is returned to you after a year of one time payments. Security Deposit Refund FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

RYABAR12

The price of the phone was 504 dollars after tax. My data cap is 8 GB plus 2 "free" lifetime GB. I pay 70 dollars for the 8 GB. My line fee is 40 dollars a month and my Total Mobile Protection is 11 dollars. It says on my account that my contract is up on 07/07/18

I went to the Verizon store in Clarksville, IN.

0 Likes

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Giving a summary does not help, actual amounts help. $504 after tax is a summary. What is the breakdown of that amount? That is the only way anyone would be able to help you out.

What iPhone did you get? The price of an iPhone can vary greatly depending on what iPhone(SE, 6, 6+, 6S, 6S+) you purchased and what size(16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB). Are you looking at the actual receipt? Does the receipt say the phone was x + tax for a total of $504 or does your receipt say something like

iPhone $95

Service deposit $400

tax $9

total $504

Simply giving a final number just makes us have to guess the rest.

The only way you will get $400 back is IF your receipt says it was for a deposit. You do not get a portion of your phone cost back, so if the total cost of the phone was something like $450 + $54 in tax, you will not get $400 back.

We know nothing about your account. If you want an accurate answer, we need to know as much about the transaction as possible. Giving us information bit by bit just takes more time and the possibility for people to lose interest in tracking down an accurate solution.

For example, the following is an excerpt from a receipt I just got online in my MyVerizon account for a phone I purchased on 7/16/2016.

Untitled-1.jpg

As you can see, it is VERY detailed. I would NEVER say I paid $xxx.xx after tax if someone was asking for the cost of the device. I would give them as much information as I could give if I wanted their help.