Device paid off bill goes up??

goldenTym3

I am on a family plan with my mother and step-father (why pay more money) it is a moretalk/text blah blah 10 gigs shared, unlimited talk and text. They both have Iphones that are paid off, I have an S7 with 4 payments left. They both pay 15 a month for their lines, my is 15 for the line, and about 30 for the payment.

I went in to the store today to ask this and got even more confused. I asked that when my phone is paid off, will the bill for my line go down to 15 as well. The employee said "No, it'll actually go up to 40 a month"... I'm confused. We were under the impression that their bills were lower for their lines because the phones were paid off. I figured when my phone is paid off now I get to only pay 15 a month as a line payment (yay me) but the guy was telling me they were on a different plan that I was, and I was on an old plan that didn't exist any more? So my bill would go up to 40 a month after my phone was paid off and that I should upgrade to keep my bill down or change to a new plan...

At this point I was about to look at this guy and call BullS.. No way does my phone get paid off and my bill goes up... So what's going on here? Anybody have any ideas. The way I see it 30 for a device payment, 15 for the line... device is paid off, 30 dollar payment goes away... only 15 for line payment.

Labels (1)

Re: Device paid off bill goes up??

Community Manager
Community Manager

That is correct. The More Everything Plan is a grandfathered plan, and the line access discounts will not be applied when your device changes status, such as finishing an active device payment. Depending on how much data you and your parents use each month, now may be a good time to take a look at the New Verizon Plan, which offers a number of features that are not found on the More Everything Plan. Chief among these are Carryover Data, which allows you to the left over data from a given month the following month, offering you more flexibility without having to change between different amounts of data.

PeterP_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The More Everything Plan did have an out of contract discount for the line access fee on lines out of contract. Unfortunately because of how that plan is structured, the customer specifically the account owner or account manager has to call customer service and request the VZW rep add the Month2Month discount to those lines currently out of contract. It isn't added to the bill automatically like the newer plans are. Because of line access fee discount issue and the retired nature of your current plan, it is a good time to review your plan against the current plans to determine if it makes sense for your situation to either keep your current plan or switch to a newer plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

It also sounds like the sales rep was telling you the truth about the plan and what your options are. The only thing you didn't mention is if they told you about the Month2Month discount.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

goldenTym3

They did not mention a month to month discount. So what is the month to

month discount (I'm assuming for paid off phones no longer under contract)

I'd have to go in or call in and tell them to apply that to my bill after

the phone is paid off? How much is the discount (would it bring my phone

down to the 15 a month?)

We as a family will look into the available plans and cost analysis, we

might consider switching carriers as well to find a better deal.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

The Month2Month discount amount is the same as the DPP agreement discount of either $15 or $25 per line depending on the size of the data plan you have with the More Everything Plan. It sounds like you have the $25 DPP agreement discount if the standard $40 line access fee is reduced to $15 per month 

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We're sorry for the confusion and would never want to see you go, goldenTym3. We want to ensure you have the correct details and options for your plan. The month to month discount, was a promotion offered at one time to lines out of contract to help reduce cost. This is not guaranteed to be available for your line once your device payment has been paid. You can view all current plans here, http://spr.ly/6583DRoKT.

DanielleR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

goldenTym3 wrote:

I am on a family plan with my mother and step-father (why pay more money) it is a moretalk/text blah blah 10 gigs shared, unlimited talk and text. They both have Iphones that are paid off, I have an S7 with 4 payments left. They both pay 15 a month for their lines, my is 15 for the line, and about 30 for the payment.

I went in to the store today to ask this and got even more confused. I asked that when my phone is paid off, will the bill for my line go down to 15 as well. The employee said "No, it'll actually go up to 40 a month"... I'm confused. We were under the impression that their bills were lower for their lines because the phones were paid off. I figured when my phone is paid off now I get to only pay 15 a month as a line payment (yay me) but the guy was telling me they were on a different plan that I was, and I was on an old plan that didn't exist any more? So my bill would go up to 40 a month after my phone was paid off and that I should upgrade to keep my bill down or change to a new plan...

At this point I was about to look at this guy and call BullS.. No way does my phone get paid off and my bill goes up... So what's going on here? Anybody have any ideas. The way I see it 30 for a device payment, 15 for the line... device is paid off, 30 dollar payment goes away... only 15 for line payment.

Ann has given some good information here. It appears you are on a grandfathered More Everything Plan with 10 GB of shared data. The BASE line access fee for this plan is $40/line.

IF you purchase a device with a monthly payment agreement, you will receive a $25/month discount on your line access fee due to your level of data usage. Once the device is paid off, you will no longer receive this discount since you are no longer in a device payment agreement. If you purchase another device, you will once again start receiving that discount.

Verizon USED to offer a month to month discount for the More Everything Plan for lines which were no longer in a service agreement. Your parents appear to be receiving this discount and it is not because their phones have been paid off, it is because they are not in a service contract or in a device payment agreement. The account owner used to be able to go into their MyVerizon account and add that discount until Verizon disallowed that method of adding the discount. THEN you were able to add the discount by calling in to CS and requesting the discount. Some time after the current Verizon Plans started to be offered and the More Everything Plan was discontinued, Verizon discontinued offering the month to month discount for lines which didn't already have the discount. This is one way Verizon has of getting people to switch to the new current plans. Verizon doesn't force you to switch to the newer plans, but they remove most incentives which would make you want to continue with an older, discontinued plan.

With that in mind, people HAVE reported success by calling CS and asking them to add the month to month discount even after Verizon stopped offering that discount. That doesn't mean you would now be successful in having that discount added if you were to call, but it can't hurt to give it a try. I haven't heard of anyone doing this in over a year, though. I think the fall of 2016 was the last time I heard someone doing this, which was over 6 months after Verizon stopped offering this discount.

You may also want to look into the option of switching to the Verizon Plan. This plan has a base line access fee of $20/line. With 3 lines, the TOTAL line access fee would then be 3x$20=$60 instead of (2x$15)+$40=$70 with the More Everything Plan once your device is paid off if you choose not to purchase a new device. The Verizon Plan ALSO has other benefits which you do not currently have with the More Everything Plan, such as Safety mode where you do not pay for data overages if you agree to have your data speed slowed once you exceed your monthly data allowance. It also has roll over data for unused plan data in any given month. You would have to determine if these benefits would be useful to you or not.

Good luck.

rudy99

Dealing with this same issue. Just proves where Verizon and all these corps put their priorities. Make as much as possible. It's not necessarily that they are trying to get an extra 15 a month but they are focused on bringing in as many customers as possible for as long as possible with zero regard to the existing customer experience which for me has been the worst customer experience of my life -Verizon billing. They could make it straight forward. The plan should auto change, who would want to pay an extra 15 a month but it makes people purchase a new phone and sign another contract...

I had great experiences with t mobile billing, though their service sucks.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

I want every experience you have with us to be a great one. I apologize that you have had so much trouble with the billing portion of our service. Help me understand what you feel isn't straight forward on the bills you are receiving. 

Nichole_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes