Data overage SCAM -- do something about it now please!

SharpeFam

I have been a Verizon customer since pre-2000.  With 3-4 phone lines on a shared plans, over 16 years! 

I do not have room on this post nor time to explain the months of problems I have had with one line on this shared plan -- we have gone up from an 8 GB plan late last year to 24 GB today and still blew through that 24GB by October 19th for the month of October.  We have called customer service/tech support three times, gone into Verizon twice, and confirmed there is no problem with the phone itself (nor is it updating apps or backing up apps etc, nor is she using Netflix),  but Verizon cannot explain the overage!  They can tell us where the data is going -- to video, apparently, 80% of the time, but for what they cannot tell us ("it's encrypted").  *I can only see that it is video.*  This is happening when my daughter is ASLEEP, on Wi-fi at home/work, with the phone OFF, AND, there is a 4-time a day pattern of charging odd-amounts of data -- an exact pattern!  This has been happening for months!  NO ONE CAN TELL US WHAT IS WRONG. 

And no, she doesn't want a refurbished phone -- she is just short of paying off this one and nothing is wrong with it.  If she takes a refurbished phone, it will be worth nothing on trade-in.  And no, she cannot change her phone number, as she has had it for over 16 years!

I want money back.  I have paid overage fees each month, I have upped my plan 4 times in the last year.  No, a credit of $30 is not going to do it.

I want ACTION NOW.  Tech support says go into the store, the store says call tech support.  It is a terrible waste of time and I am about ready to investigate filing a class action lawsuit with the thousands of other customers who are being scammed of their data.  What other recourse do I have?  I work full time, my daughter works 60 hours a week, and we do not want to be hassled for any more HOURS of trying to get this resolved.  Stop giving us the run around and DO SOMETHING about it, Verizon!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data overage SCAM -- do something about it now please!

Community Manager
Community Manager

SharpeFam,

It is always alarming when there is an increase in data. I apologize that you have had top deal with this for so long. You should be receiving proper information the first time. It is correct that we are unable to see what specifically is using data as this is purely for your privacy. We are, however, able to see how much data is used, what time/date it is used, as well as a generalization of what is being used.

The best way to see what app(s) might be using data is to look in the device itself. Depending on the make/model phone, you may look under Settings to see a list of usage. On Androids, you would look for "Data Usage". On iPhone's you would look under "Cellular". This will help give us a better idea on what exactly is using data.

I know you mentioned video had been using the bulk of the usage. Keep in mind, videos are not limited to just apps like Netflix. All social media apps now have videos being run, streaming live, etc (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc). You also mentioned data being used at night. Is your daughter closing out running apps?

We do want to get to the bottom of where the usage is coming from. Any additional details will be helpful.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

SharpeFam,

It is always alarming when there is an increase in data. I apologize that you have had top deal with this for so long. You should be receiving proper information the first time. It is correct that we are unable to see what specifically is using data as this is purely for your privacy. We are, however, able to see how much data is used, what time/date it is used, as well as a generalization of what is being used.

The best way to see what app(s) might be using data is to look in the device itself. Depending on the make/model phone, you may look under Settings to see a list of usage. On Androids, you would look for "Data Usage". On iPhone's you would look under "Cellular". This will help give us a better idea on what exactly is using data.

I know you mentioned video had been using the bulk of the usage. Keep in mind, videos are not limited to just apps like Netflix. All social media apps now have videos being run, streaming live, etc (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc). You also mentioned data being used at night. Is your daughter closing out running apps?

We do want to get to the bottom of where the usage is coming from. Any additional details will be helpful.

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

whitneymarci

I have been charged for using exactly the amount I pay for and it uses data even tho i turn data off and phone turns it off and im connected to wifi if you do a class action lawsuit i would love to join in i am waiting for a call back from a manager or corporate if i dont get one i let them know i will go as high in the company as i can this is [removed] im tired of it

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

Go into your phone's settings menu. Open up data usage and determine which app is using the data. Either restrict that app to wifi only or delete it if you cannot control it.

Netflix would not be the only thing which is considered video. Hulu, Amazon, MaxGo, HBOGo, Showtime, Plex, Slingbox, your cable provider, Facebook, Twitter, etc... These are simply a FEW of the apps which could be using video.

The data counter in your phone would be able to tell you what app(s) are using the most data. Restrict or delete them accordingly.

0 Likes

whitneymarci

ya see theres a flaw still i have one the says 3% another thats 2% and like 3-4 1% everything is restricted and data is turned off so no thats not the problem its verizon screwing people over

0 Likes
Highlighted

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader

It appears you are looking in the wrong location on your phone. The data usage your PHONE(not Verizon) counts is listed in actual MB/GB of usage, not percentage of the total.  The following shows the data usage on my phone in the current billing cycle.

Screenshot_20161129-081829.png

Notice how each app lists how much data it has used. Of course, I can then select each one and select if it is able to use data when I am not actively using the app, i.e. background data.

Screenshot_20161129-082242.png

Notice how the following app has MOST of its data usage performed in the background when I am not actually using the app.

Screenshot_20161129-082600.png

Community Manager
Community Manager

whitneymarci,

I would be puzzled if my data usage is not reflecting my activities. The only way we retrieve usage is from the phone. Let’s dive a little deeper into this. When did this start for you? What is the make and model of your device?

RyanC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

whitneymarci

Am I am in the right spot because I've even come in the store and had them look everything is set to restricted and thru the settings data is turned off I'm not a idiot I know how to  control and watch my stuff

I've never had a problem with this in the past only  recent  and from the looks of it I'm not the  only one not to mention they've told me twice now that they take the extra $15 that they've put on there off and haven't and have repeatedly told me they have a manager call me I've also been told by a few of the representatives that I supposedly declined the $15 being taken off which no I did  I never once declined it I said yes I would appreciate that and I would like you to take it off so I don't know if you work for Verizon or who the [Removed] you work for but unless you can help me stop telling me to do things that I've already done please do not tell me where to look or what to do because I've already gone to the store already gone through my phone I've done everything

LG lancet uh pretty much after I got this broken phone went to the store paid cash for it was told that my upgrade date would not be changing and it did it be changing and it did  also this was supposed to be a temporary phone also can't ever retrieve my voicemail since I've gotten the phone I lost out on a few job interviews a little bit ago because of how many will get the voicemails because not only can I not get into my freaking voice mailbox but I can't even tell when I have one because I've had a voicemail show up 3 days later after someone left it there is no notice no notification nothing

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes

whitneymarci

Ya I got same s reels hots of my phone dude like I said I'm not stupid

0 Likes

whitneymarci

phone.pngphone1.pngphone2.png

0 Likes