Highlighted

Data Usage

twitte

Last night I turned my phone into a hotpot so I could watch a YouTube video on a tablet.  I got notices from Verizon that I used my remaining 2GB Of data and went over an additional 4GB (total of 6GB), all in a matter of 11 minutes.  This doesn't seem possible to me when only watching a video.  Who do I talk to about this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data Usage

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Data usage is all recorded in setting on your phone by application, including use of the mobile hotspot.  Look in the phone settings under data usage to see what used your data.  It is more likely you will find the data was used much earlir in the day. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Data usage is all recorded in setting on your phone by application, including use of the mobile hotspot.  Look in the phone settings under data usage to see what used your data.  It is more likely you will find the data was used much earlir in the day. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

lukevinyl

In addition to what mama23dogs stated, it is all dependant on the resolution of the video that was streamed as in theory-- an ultra HD resolution/4k video of approximately 2+ hours in length could be around 6-8GB so is actually in the realm of possibility to have used that much.

0 Likes

corigurl
Novice

What plan do you have? Why don't you enable Safety Mode to prevent yourself from going over.

0 Likes

twitte

Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments.  Like I said, I used 6GB in a matter of 11 minutes which tells me something was wrong here.  My usage was not for the whole day but only that short period of time.  Strange.  I have an 8GB plan which has always had lots of data remaining each month.  I never heard of Safety Mode but it is turned on now to protect me (thanks).  The Verizon representatives that I talked to were very helpful but couldn't tell me what happened.  They resolved the issue on the overage billing so I didn't have to pay anything.  I just don't like surprises like this.  All is well and good for now.

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You seem to think the overage happened in 11 minutes.  Unless you downloaded several movies over cellular in 11 minutes, it was NOT so.   All carriers have a delay in reporting data use of several hours to several days.  A report at 9 pm is collective use since the previous reporting, which may include data since 6 pm or since noon, or for use in the past 3 days. 

Does your phone report is used 6 gigs of data only from Youtube?   And you have only watch YouTube on that one day?   Did you leave YouTube running in the background all day?   Please check the YouTube settings to prevent this.

0 Likes

twitte

Here is a little more detail on what happened.  I went up to a remote area where we have a house (it has very good Verizon service but only has AT&T available for internet service.  Often when the AT&T service starts acting flaky I turn my Verizon cell phone into a Hot Spot and use it with my tablet or computer to access the internet.  I've done this for the last year or so without any data usage problems.  On the day in question, I had just arrived, noticed the internet was not working well, turned my cell to a Hot Spot and picked up my tablet (I'm only using my tablet) to watch a YouTube video about cars.  I'm not watching my cell phone but it starts getting text messages from Verizon which I don't notice until it is too late:

7:13 pm Friday 9/8/17 - "You're running low on data.  25% remaining (1.94 out of 8 GB remaining)."  Note 25% is about right for the end of the plan month.  My plan ends on the 9th of each month so I only had one more day before it resets for the next month.  The message indicated it was reporting my usage as of 9/8/17 at 22:13 PM EDT (I'm in California so this corresponds with my time being 7:13 pm).

7:16 pm Friday 9/8/17 - "You're almost out of data.  10% remaining (0.79 out of 8 GB remaining).

7:18 pm Friday 9/8/17 - "You ran out of data and were charged overage according to your plan.  0% of 8 GB remaining.

7:24 pm Friday 9/8/17 - You're almost out of overage data.  6% - 0.1 of 1 GB overage remaining.  Usage as of 09/08  22:24 PM EDT.

So as you see in 11 minutes this all happened while I'm watching a YouTube video on my tablet not knowing what is going on.  I only watched 1 YouTube video and when I returned to my phone and saw the messages from Verizon I immediately called them.

It's all very strange.  Verizon did help me with this problem and they removed the $30 overage charge that was automatically imposed on my account.  This problem has not happened again and I continue to watch videos on my tablet using my phone as a Hot Spot when up in the remote area.

0 Likes

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

You got notices in 11 minutes, but It takes several hours for data to report back.   Data does not report live.  And for sure the carrier doesn't send out the texts messages right away.   If it did, it would be easy to prevent data overage. 

You are trying to connect a coincidence.   The data overage messages would have come in any way. 

0 Likes