Highlighted

Data Usage Spike 3GB in one Day?

LMCBobcat15

Today I was at the Duke football game with my parents. As we were watching the game, I noticed that we started getting the overage text messages. This confused me because I was not using my phone, and my parents both left their phones at home. In the span of a couple of hours, the overage went from 6 GB over to 9 GB over. This does not make sense, especially because it is very unlikely that having phones sitting at home and in my pocket were using 3 GBs of data. I would like to know how and why this happened, because this is not right if Verizon is just adding data usage for no apparent reason. If someone can give an answer on this that would be much appreciated.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers

Re: Data Usage Spike 3GB in one Day?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to us Ayemar.

That's a great device. I've used it myself. You can go into the Setting> Data usage. It will give you a breakdown on what's using the data on this device.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes

RTHEW12

Check out the article on Cleveland.com...This is happening to THOUSANDS of Verizon Wireless customers.There is a link to file a complaint with the FCC in the article. It's all over Facebook too! That's how I found out about it...In addition to the "Data overage Fee" I too got hit with. I'm going shopping for another carrier!

Community Manager
Community Manager

It is concerning to hear that you are experiencing issues with overages. Let's see if we can find out what is causing this. What model device do you have?

HarleyE_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes

LESMIL66

I have had issues twice before and it has happened again this billing cycle.  The first two times I worked with Verizon and decided that I had a weak password to protect my WIFI.  So twice I have changed passwords - this last time I changed to around 30 digits!!!   Everything was going along fine.  I am now 12 days into my current billing cycle and have used more than 50% of data plan.  So I get on line and check.  Sure enough there is another spike - 3.33009 GB in a 6 hour period - when the computer was off and I was asleep.  Tried chatting with Verizon last night but nothing was resolved.  Previously I was told that the data log times on MyVerizon were pacific time and I'm central time.  So I tried changing the times to central time and still the computer was off and/or I was asleep.  I am the only person at my house and only use my laptop for social media, and sometimes a TV show.  Experience shows that a 50 minute tv show uses approx. 0.4gb of data so I know how to judge the data usage.

I have had Verizon since 2008, but I am not happy with their answers or their supposed solutions.  I have internet, a tablet and 4 phones with them and I am looking to move my business to another carrier.

Community Manager
Community Manager

LESMIL66 let's make sure your data is correct. I have sent you a Private Message to begin.

RosanneM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

LAIRDOGLEN

Same thing here. 

I have a hotspot because it is the only internet I can get at my home unless I want to go back to dial-up or get on satellite.

Everything was great for years and then all of a sudden I had 1 gb usage in a small window of time.  It happened twice a day until I actually turned off the hotspot.

I went into the store and they said call and Verizon can see what device used the data.

I did that and they were no help.  They could not say how the data was used.

Now I turn the hotspot on only when I log into the computer and turn it right back off and I am using NOTHING like I used to use even before this, but this should not have to be the solution.

I certainly hope this doesn't happen with my phone.  If it does, like you, I will be moving on even though I have been happy with Verizon up until this happened.

0 Likes

JungleCats907

We had this happen on 9/7 the day the iPhone came out we were moving into an office so not much data use. We got several messages that day and evening. No reply from customer service as they were too busy cashing in on the iPhone 7. More messages the next morning & afternoon. Another call to Customer Service. Long hold times and no answers. No suggestions to turn off DATA rest your data monitor. More text messages of data overage. More Calls to Customer Service on Sunday their System is down... No Technical Assistance ticket till Wednesday No Return call no, Nothing. No help from Verizon. They are the Wells Fargo of Data Overage Charges if your data goes crazy and you get a bunch of text messages you need to shurt your data off as VerizCon will charge you for everything they can.

Verizon Wireless Data Over Charges Facebook

wwwwww612We WeWe

AYEMAR

I've noticed the same thing starting with my September billing cycle. My usage is usually around 2.5 GB every month, but last month I nearly exceeded my 4 GB limit even though I didn't use my phone more than usual or any differently. And now, not even a week into the new cycle, I've already reached 1 GB even though I'm connected to Wi-Fi 80-85% of the time. Something's not right and Verizon needs to address and fix this!

Verizon Employee

This is no way to use your Hotspot. I rely on using my Hotspot too and I'll be happy to get you some answers about this. So I can offer more personalized support, I have sent you a private message. We will get to the bottom of this.

0 Likes

MENTOS08

I too am having data issues...out of control for some reason. 2.75 GB in two days when I never have used 2 gB in an entire month. something is obviously wrong and I heard the FCC is looking into this issue!