Re: Data Has Jumped 3GB

Leader

How much are they off by?

What is your phone saying as your highest data usage?

Verizon.com even breaks things down into usage categories, though I'm not sure how accurate it is and I know it's not app specific like on the phone.

For those of you avoiding or not understanding, this is an example of usage: (I've never paid attention to when it resets; after a full charge I believe, but just the same, it lets me know what I need to know)

Screenshot_2015-07-17-23-38-36.png

0 Likes

Sr. Leader

It will reset on the date of your cycle, but you have to enter that date manually into the stock data counter.

0 Likes

Sr. Leader

Phones will count most all data that goes in or out of the phone, including MMS, which on an unlimited messaging plan, does not count towards data use with Verizon, so Verizon's count is usually lower than stock and most 3rd party phone data counter apps.

0 Likes

I've found that several of our phones are using cellular data even when home and on wifi.  This is, of course, not supposed to happen.  I've researched it a bit, not enough, and found that there are others having this issue as well.  Not sure I've seen Verizon providing an answer on it.  You can test this by resetting your data could while at home and then using some of the things you would use at home and checking it again.  Spotify was one that was using data with Wifi available.

Sr. Leader

There are a few things to point out here.  Verizon phones, most of the new ones at least, have an available data connection at all times provided signal allows.  Airplane mode is the only way to turn mobile data off.  Of course, you can turn wifi on still, but you wont get calls or texts because all the other radios are off.  Some apps do have the ability to turn mobile data on.  Which ones, IDK.  But, throughout the day the phone will make a temporary connection to Verizon to check for small updates and other infos.  This is why you can receive MMS pic and video messages and send group messages with mobile data off. 

0 Likes

I have my Samsung 5 turned off all day and it shows I am using data.  I would like to know what is going on!  Verizon seems to be stealing my data.  Can anyone let me know what is going on ?

Customer Support

antja,

That's certainly odd! We definitely want to find explanation egarding your data usage as soon as possible.

How long has this been occurring for? What plan are you on? Do you have multiple users sharing from the same data plan?

Please share as many details as you can so we can best assist. Thank you!

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

I have also found out that my data has been used up for no reason! About 400MB to 500MB. I have an app that monitors my data,  and it's fairly accurate to the MB, for instance, it has a timer option, by starting or resetting this timer, it will show how much data you have used immediately! It also shows what data has been used from 12:00AM to 11:59PM. So the daily report shows that at 9:00 I used 400-500MB all the sudden. I recently upgraded my data as well because I kept going over, So I do believe something fishy is going on, so you others that are having this problem, don't think you're crazy, I have proof that it is happening.

0 Likes