Highlighted

Data Has Jumped 3GB

I have unlimited data currently but we are thinking of adding another family member to the plan and changing to the More Everything. I've been tracking my data usage on my iPhone 6 before we do that so we don't face giant overages and in the last month, I went from using 6GB (since January) to 9GB doing nothing different. I even streamed music daily when I was using 6GB but don't anymore and am still using 9GB. A lot of big chunks of data (0.1 - 0.4GB) are coming out during early morning hours when I'm asleep and on WiFi at home. Verizon CS said this was because the WiFi times out. So I tried turning my phone on Airplane mode last night to shut off all the cellular data and My Verizon is still showing my usage went up by 100MB (which another CS agent said isn't a lot of data but if you add that up with my other data usage and multiply it by 30 days, it equals 9GB so it is a lot). The Verizon website and MyVerizon app aren't even consistent in the usage they're showing. The Main page of my Verizon account shows 5.13 as does the My Verizon app on my phone (which is what it was before I turned on Airplane Mode last night) but when I go to View Usage, it shows over 5.2GB used so I can't even accurately track my usage because Verizon's own numbers don't match.

The cellular data stats on my phone also didn't go up so they're just going up on the Verizon page. I used to use about 2GB on my iPhone 4S (also streaming music all day and heavy social media use) and now all of a sudden I'm using 9GB? I understand a little bit of an increase with the new phone and new software but that big of a jump doesn't make any sense. I'm not going to switch to the More Everything plan if I'm going to be paying more for less data and have to worry about going over every month because my data just jumps up for no reason per the Verizon site. Has anyone encountered this same issue and have any suggestions? I spent 3 hours on the Apple Support threads last night and tried everything possible short of resetting the phone but again, the cellular stats on my phone didn't go up, it's only on the Verizon site that did which is a big red flag. My family and I have been long time customers of Verizon both phone and internet and I always recommend them to people but this is extremely frustrating and is making me consider going over to another carrier.

Labels (1)
Highlighted

Re: Data Has Jumped 3GB

Leader

Data usage does NOT get reported immediately. What shows up at 5am on a Tuesday could have been used at 9pm on Monday. If you're on an extended network, it can take even longer to be reported. The numbers most likely don't match because again, there is a delay in reporting times, be it from the time you used it, to the time it's been reported to Verizon, to the time it updates it on your account and app.

If you want to see what is using the data you can look on your device under settings>cellular, that will break it down by app and amount.

What device did you come from before having the iPhone 6? Keep in mind 4G speeds will use more data; I believe someone has said around 2x more than 3G speeds and 3G devices.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I understand that but that still doesn't explain why in two separate places on the Verizon site right now, it's showing 2 different set of data numbers. I had an iPhone 4S before. I know the 4G and newer phone and software will use more data but I don't think it should have quadrupled and also I was using 6GB of data for months on my iPhone 6 before last month when it suddenly jumped up to 9. I've been checking the data usage under settings and cellular also. That didn't change at all when I had my phone on airplane mode. It was the same last night at 10pm as it was at 7:00am when I turned off airplane mode. Verizon uses the data amount on their site to track how much customers are using so if that's going up 124MB per day no matter what I try on my phone, that's going to be an issue if I switch to a limited data plan.

Highlighted

Leader

It's different because you're still using data. The only way to know that Verizon isn't just adding whatever data they want to add is by shutting off your data for multiple days; one guy shut it off for 7 days and during that period 2x a very small amounts of usage were reported, which could have come from a time he was connected to an extended network during the previous days when data was not turned off. There is a delay in reporting on all fronts be it from tower to carrier, carrier to website, website to device, device to you. Nothing about it is instant. Though there are apps out there that can help you monitor things in a more instantly fashion.

Data usage won't change on your device while in airplane mode, but the website will because it will still be collecting the data that you did use before you turned on airplane mode from previous days.

I know on an iPhone you have to reset the usage area if you want it to match up with the billing cycle, it won't automatically reset. I also know that while it's a good way to monitor it, they don't ever quite match up, though I believe the numbers to be closely matched. I consider closely matched to be what you are upset about though; 5.13 vs 5.2x.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks for the information. Some of that info does help. I'm going to keep an eye on it for another few months because I still don't understand how I could have gone up from using 6GB or less consecutively to 9GB when I'm actually using my phone less. I'm already at over 5 this month too and there's 13 days left in the billing cycle. I would also like the data usage amounts on the Verizon website to at least match so I have a better idea of how much is being used. When it says 5.13 on one part of the site and then 5.2 on another it's confusing. According to what you're saying, I guess both parts of the site must not be updating at the same time.

Highlighted

Leader

You should look into the app options. I don't remember off hand some of the suggestions that have been put out there, but it will help keep track on a more instant level; though it probably won't match your phone, or online either. My rule of thumb is always go with the higher number.

What does it say is using the most data under settings>cellular? If you've never reset it, then it won't be too accurate, but it could help.

It sounds like it's been 1 month of extra data usage, so it could be something got stuck in the sending/downloading function, be it Facebook or other apps that have this function; including e-mail and text.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have a similar problem. My normal monthly usage is between .5 gb - .75gb. per month, almost never have exceeded 1gb.  For the first 9 days of this billing period I used approx .2 gb of data, then in one 24 hour period my usage jumped by .6 gb which puts me close to my 1gb limit for the month with 20 days left in my billing period. Contacted customer service and lady tried to tell me I was using a lot of data with emails and texts which was totally not true as I text and email very little. I am totally at a loss to explain why my data use has spiked in just 24 hours with almost no data use.

Also my phone got really hot today which I have never noticed before. I am thinking of switching from VZ if this issue is not solved!

Highlighted

Leader

What phone do you have? Did you look under settings>data usage? or Settings>cellular? I want to say most phones have some sort of monitoring system to at least take a guess at what is using your data. No one ever reports back on this matter which leads me to believe that they figured out the problem.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Customer Support

The last thing that we want is to lose you as a customer rcolan. We want to assist in discovering what is using the data. May I ask what data services do you commonly use? Have you reviewed your data utilization chart online at My Verizon? There is breaks down the data usage based on platforms. Here's a link on FAQs about this tool.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-utilization-faqs/

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Apparently Verizon isn't too concerned with losing my business. More and more ammo for me to look into TMobile.

I got the data usage down to about 5GB this month after a lot of turning things off/adjusting settings and using WiFi when possible. Doesn't really make sense to have a phone with all that capability and you have to limit it because of data restrictions. There is a way on the iPhone 6 (and any other iPhone) to see categories of what's using how much data but it's not specific enough to really help tell you which apps or functions are using up a lot of data. The data usage amounts still don't match between the home page of My Verizon, the Usage page and the My Verizon phone app though.