Highlighted

Customer Service Issue

IowaBacon

A few years ago my father made a payment to a past due account for one of his foster care children's cell phone account. Verizon ended up applying the payment to the incorrect account and sent the foster child's account to collections. 

My father contacted both Verizon and the collection agency and told them that they had received the payment but never applied it correctly (he had a copy of the cancelled Verizon check). 

He had to fight with both groups for the next year before they finally accepted what had happened and stopped pursuing payments. 

However, no one ever reached out and apologized, and one of Verizon's customer service agents told him that his situation was Verizon's fault, but my father was going to have to deal with the consequences of the company's mistake. 

No one has ever apologized or even owned up to their mistake. 

I even contacted Verizon for an explanation a couple of years ago, but never received a response. 

Is anyone going to own up to the issue?

Why should my fiance and I continue having Verizon as a service provider if they treat our family this way?

Re: Customer Service Issue

glitchedpixel

Something to this story is missing.

When you call in, the number entered gets routed to account it's a part of assuming it was entered correctly. Same for a store when searching up an account via phone number.

If this were a physical check, the bill has all the info required regarding where to send it and the statement itself has the account number at the very top.

Meaning it's not easy to make a payment for the wrong account. The most likely scenario of this happening is if you called in to make a payment and entered the wrong info like a number off.

I mean it is possible everything was done right and Verizon was at fault -- just not as likely. I dunno, I *never* pay by check. This is also why Verizon now is strongly promoting self serve so you pay online.

0 Likes

IowaBacon

The number he called on was not associated with any account as he was paying for one of his foster children's account (they are under the legal care of the state). So the number is irrelevant. 

Verizon also cashed the check after he asked if he could send in the check to cover the foster child's expenses. Verizon sent the child's account to collections and collections got a hold of his number to reach the child. 

Verizon ultimately let it go and (like I said in the thread) admitted that an error was made, but no one ever said it was on Verizon's behalf. 

So:

-The number was not associated with any accounts

-There was no bill available as the child was a foster child coming from another home

-And the payment did go to the wrong account and we have proof of that as well (let me try to find that)

I just want Verizon to come up with an explanation, statement, anything that fully recognizes that they made a mistake and feel bad about it, instead of "Oh we made a mistake and that terrible for you" (which is how customer service acted with my father). 

0 Likes

IowaBacon

Wrong Pay.JPGThe $200 was supposed to go to an overdue account. This account has consistent payments until a random $200 shows up. $200 was also the amount of the cashed check sent to Verizon.

0 Likes

IowaBacon

So how would a physical check be applied to the incorrect account since the payment was not made over the phone? (In contrast to the statement about payments over the phone cannot be applied to the wrong account.)

0 Likes

IowaBacon

I just got what you meant about the phone number being routed.

Still does not work with mailed in payments. 

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

Did the physical check list the account number of the overdue account that was supposed to be applied to? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

We certainly don’t want you to have to consider leaving the Verizon Wireless family, IowaBacon. I’m truly sorry to hear that your father experienced an issue that made it so he had to follow up for a period of a year to get to the right solution regarding a payment made. I’m also truly sorry to hear that your father doesn’t feel that we were sincere in our attempt to make things right. I see that, since you’ve posted the original comment, you’ve added more information. Two of our members, glitchedpixel and Ann154, have also made some suggestions as to what may have caused the error. Have their suggestions been helpful? How are things going with your service?

GeorgeS_VZW

0 Likes

IowaBacon

I could not respond to any of the messages yesterday.

I submitted a BBB complaint and Cynthia from the executive offices is going to be assisting me with this issue. 

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

You never clarified if the copy of the canceled check had the account number from the overdue account or the account number from the misapplied account on it? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes