Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

Here was content from an earlier post by hmorgan.  This is the point of contention.  Verizon statements contain the word "prioritization."   Throttling seems to be the experience of many, myself included. 

From hmorgan:

But what VZ and other carriers do implement is "throttling" and what is described above for "data optimization".

I define the "throttling" as an enforced slow-down that is permanent in the billing cycling.

• On the new Unlimited Data Plan - Mobile hotspots, Jetpacks, cellphone/tethers are all limited to 10GB before the network will force any further data flow at the "3G" data rates. I am supposing that this is hardwired into the network and will be enforced regardless of the "data optimization" algorithms. Meaning they won't let you back to 4G LTE data rates on these devices.

I define the "data optimization" as an on-going rate optimization that is dependent on the specific load to any given cell tower.

• On the new Unlimited Data Plan - all devices are subject to "data optimization" beyond the 22GB before the network will force your specific device to "slowdown" to allow the combined traffic on the network to proceed. This should be temporary meaning only while the network is in a congested state.
  • There can be times that you never get a "data optimized" connection in a given billing cycle even if you go beyond the 22GB threshold. This depends on the amount of data traffic to your specific cell towers.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

Sr. Leader

Being reprioritised after 22 gigs means the line is not longer getting equal priority, but drops to the bottom of the heap.  In high network traffic areas this could mean slow data as soon as you hit 22 gigs.  

0 Likes
Highlighted

@mama23dogs said

Being reprioritised after 22 gigs means the line is not longer getting equal priority, but drops to the bottom of the heap.  In high network traffic areas this could mean slow data as soon as you hit 22 gigs. 

I would be delighted if your description (above) were true.  That is what I was lead to believe.  However, it appears that I am not alone in finding out reality.  Rather than being prioritized, we are being throttled.   In other words, it does not matter that it is 4 in the morning, the bandwidth is the same 24hrs/day.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

I think the problem is you are thinking either/or when an actual device can be experiencing one, both or none.

You have 2 different thresholds, 10 GB and 22 GB to which ALL devices are subject.

The 10 GB threshold is for devices which pass data on to other devices, i.e. hotspots whether they are MiFi devices, phones/tablets being utilized as hotspots or home fusion devices. THESE devices will experience a data slowdown(for data passed on to other devices) to 3G speeds after exceeding that 10 GB threshold of data actual passed on via the hotspot.

The 22 GB threshold is for ALL devices whether the data is used on the actual device or simply passed on to other devices via use of the device's hotspot. Once a device has used 22 GB of data(either hotspot only, device only or a combination of the two) it is subject to re-prioritization if on a congested tower. If it is not on a congested tower, the device would not experience any disruption of its service.

For hospot only devices(devices which don't actually use any data but simply pass it on to other devices), they would experience 4G speeds until hitting 10 GB and then experience 3G speeds. After hitting 22 GB, they could also experience re-prioritization if on a congested tower along with already having data slowed to 3G speeds.

For phones/tablets, there are a couple of different scenarios at work:

1 - 22 GB used on the phone/hotspot with less than 10 GB of hotspot usage: The phone AND hotspot could be experiencing re-prioritization on data use, and while the hotspot is still eligible for 4G speeds the re-prioritization could make it seem as if its data speed was being slowed.

2 - 22 GB used on the phone/hotspot with more than 10 GB of hotspot usage: The phone AND hotspot could be experiencing re-prioritization on data use. The hotspot ALSO has the disadvantage of having its data speed slowed to 3G speeds which when combined with the re-prioritization could make it seem to be slower than 3G speeds.

3 - less than 22 GB used on the phone/hotspot with less than 10 GB of hotspot usage: No re-prioritization and no hotspot data usage slowed to 3G speeds.

4 - less than 22 GB used on the phone/hotspot with more than 10 GB of hotspot usage: No re-prioritization but the hotspot would have its data slowed down to 3G speeds.

That is how I interpret Verizon's policy on the new unlimited data plan.

Highlighted

Have the throttle on after 22 myself. I don't even have wifi have to get a router or use two devices to set up my chrome cast '

I have the new unlimited plan not grandfathered and it's pretty great actually.

Tested the speed at various times when I thought it was being throttled and it constantly stayed at 70.

Been way up over 22 for about three weeks now.

Use the chrome cast in the evenings

(early ) When usage should be at its highest.

Not one problem.

If there was going to be believe me, I'd of felt it using the chrome cast.

Little tiny blips but the one thing Verizon does that no one else will is jump you right back up to 4g speed when congestion slows.

I absolutely applaud the new unlimited plan.

No, I am not employed by Verizon.

0 Likes
Highlighted

rcschnoor

Very well written and I appreciate the clarification.

My application is a MiFi device (I also have phones, but that is not the point of contention)

As per your explanation:

1) MiFi devices get 10GB of full LTE speeds and then are throttled to 600kbps (called 3G speeds)

2) After 10GB/cycle, I can never get more than 600kbps.

3) After 10GB it is possible to get less than 600kbps if congestion.

This all makes sense an I wish the Verizon sales force had this level of clarity. 

They way they explained it was too good to be true. 

This forum is most helpful.  Thank you.

Highlighted

Sr. Leader

jlkoch99 wrote:

As per your explanation:

1) MiFi devices get 10GB of full LTE speeds and then are throttled to 600kbps (called 3G speeds)

2) After 10GB/cycle, I can never get more than 600kbps.

3) After 10GB it is possible to get less than 600kbps if congestion.

Just one correction:

3) After 22GB it is possible to get less than 600kbps if congestion.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I, too was told something different after having experienced our first slowdown after getting the Unlimited plan. The guy I talked to on the call line specifically told me I would only experience a slowdown on ANY device after it had exceeded 20 GB. And that each device on our plan could reach 20 GB individually before the plan slowed down. Our MiFi hit slowdown at about 20 that month but the last two it occurred at around 10 and noticeably this time we were texted to notify us of the limit and slowdown.  The iphones and ipad were good go tos for hotspots. None of this was clearly explained when we went on the Unlimited plan almost as soon as it was offered. Nor was this what I was told in my phone chat on the Verizon Support line. The MiFi 's being specifically  limited at 10GB is the most disappointing of all and was and never mentioned. But what rccschnoor explained seems to line up best with what we have actually experienced. I feel like what we signed up for has become a moving target and the value is lower overall than what we signed up for. The only saving grace is that I believe our cell tower(s) loads are relatively light most of the time.

0 Likes