Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

Sr. Leader

Sometimes Verizon does things that make sense. It is true.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

Just to further confirm, from the Ask Verizon window under What is Verizon Unlimited?  there is this:

"*Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10 GB/month per line."

AWESOME!  As long as line means each phone and not each account, sorry, still somewhat skeptical, or maybe in disbelief, is a better way to describe it.  You can imagine what this means to folks in rural areas with no other decent internet options.

0 Likes
Highlighted

02-17-17 7730 data rate.png

Just got my Jetpack MiFi 7730L today - this is a great hotspot - actual a mobile connection on the highway. So so much better than the old 3G USB modem that I was using!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Prepper357 wrote:

Just to further confirm, from the Ask Verizon window under What is Verizon Unlimited? there is this:

"*Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10 GB/month per line."

AWESOME! As long as line means each phone and not each account

I'm not sure how you can possibly think "line" means "account". If that were the case, how do you interpret the following statement from the Verizon Plan Unlimited faq:

"How do I get unlimited data for $45 per line?

When you have 4 lines on the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, you're paying $110 for unlimited data and a $20 line access fee for each device. Plus when you sign up for Auto Pay and Paper-free billing you get a $10 discount totaling $180. This comes out to $45 for each line."

Do you think that they mean it will be only $45 per "line" if "line" REALLY means "account"????

NO, when Verizon says "line", they mean a "line" on your "account".

Highlighted

I've had two customer service representative tell me it was per account even though it says per line.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Not the first nor last time a CS will be wrong. It is per line.

0 Likes
Highlighted

I agree with your definitions of prioritization vs. throttling.

What I am experiencing is clearly throttling.

I am running a Verizon MiFi home unit.  Once I hit 10GB (received many warnings from Verizon) my up/down speeds went to 600kbps.  This was true 24hrs/day.  It had nothing to do with congestion.  Whether it is 4PM or 4AM the speed checks are identical. 

In this I believe Verizon has been deceptive. This is classical throttling. 

Can anyone confirm that the home hardware devices even has 3G radios in them?

The world has moved on to LTE.  It very much has the look of software throttling, not hardware switchover.

This I cannot confirm, but should be easy for those knowledgable in this area.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Expert

The device is still connected at 4G LTE. It is throttled after 10 GB of LTE high speed hotspot data before you are slowed down to 3G speeds. This is all spelled out to the customers in the FAQs which was linked earlier in this thread. This speed restriction was announced with the Press Release of the new Verizon Unlimited Plan even before it was implemented. It wasn't deceptive and a little research on your part would have allowed you to learn about the details of the plan before you selected it.

Get unlimited data on the network you deserve: Verizon | About Verizon

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

jlkoch99 wrote:

I agree with your definitions of prioritization vs. throttling.

What I am experiencing is clearly throttling.

I am running a Verizon MiFi home unit. Once I hit 10GB (received many warnings from Verizon) my up/down speeds went to 600kbps. This was true 24hrs/day. It had nothing to do with congestion. Whether it is 4PM or 4AM the speed checks are identical.

In this I believe Verizon has been deceptive. This is classical throttling.

Can anyone confirm that the home hardware devices even has 3G radios in them?

The world has moved on to LTE.  It very much has the look of software throttling, not hardware switchover.

This I cannot confirm, but should be easy for those knowledgable in this area.

This is understandable as it has been explained in the faq for the new Verizon Plan Unlimited. From #9 under "Top Questions":

"With the new Verizon Plan Unlimited, you get a 10 GB allowance of high-speed 4G LTE data for Mobile Hotspot each billing cycle. Once you've used the 10 GB of 4G LTE data, your Mobile Hotspot data speed will be reduced to 3G speeds for the rest of the billing cycle. Data will continue to be unlimited while your Mobile Hotspot is reduced to 3G speeds."

It doesn't say ANYTHING about being transferred to a 3G signal, only that your data "speed" will be reduced to "3G speeds". You can have a 3G data speed while utilizing a 4G data connection.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ann,

Thanks for the clarification on 3G Hardware vs. 3G speeds.  So much of the confusion comes from talking to sales and support people.  They explained it as "you will be switched over to 3G", not "you will be switched over to 3G speeds."  A little homework on my part would have eliminated those statements from my posts.

Here is the real issue in my mind:

To ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a line during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers during network congestion.

This is the statement that comes across as deceptive.  The local store manager and a couple other sales people on the way were very quick to say, THIS IS NOT THROTTLING, it is prioritization."   That was explained to me by local store manager as, during times of congestion, you will experience bandwidth slowdowns.  That made sense to me and I believed it.

We have a axiom we use at work.

S=D/E

Customer satisfaction = your deliverables divided by customer's expectations. 

I know I bear responsibility to do further research on my own, but I was naive and believed the sales folks were telling me the truth.  To be clear, I don't think they were ones being deceptive.  They were passing along information from Verizon.  It puts them in a precarious spot as well.  Thank you for taking time to bring clarity.  I have been quite upbeat with Verizon until this exchange. 

0 Likes