Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

Sr. Leader

From  The new Verizon Plan Unlimited FAQs | Verizon Wireless

To ensure a quality experience for all customers, after 22 GB of data usage on a line during any billing cycle we may prioritize usage behind other customers during network congestion.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but the new Unlimited Data Plan 2/13/17 is better than 3G Grandfathered Unlimited?

if this part is correct then, Thanks verizon    FINALLY  !!!!

Read #10 about the 22GB threshold. There's no 3G throttling occurring. And it's not combined, it's per line.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Prepper357 wrote:

But data on the phone itself is not reduced to 3G correct? Just if I use the mobile hotspot on my phone to get online with my laptop.

That is correct, only data on the hotspot will reduce to 3G, but native data on the phone will continue high speed until 22GB, and then only reduce if the network or tower is busy.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Howdy!

you are saying  speeds are reduced to 3G. I have a grandfathered 3G data only I use and the speeds I'm gettimy now are 1.5 to 2 Mbps. Are you saying I will continue to get thes speeds with the new plan when reduced to 3G?

"Happy Trails"

Chiefneon

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Multiple published sites are reporting 3G being defined as 600 kpbs.

0 Likes
Highlighted

That's not even close to the speeds I'm getting with my old 3G data only unlimited plan. I check my speeds and they are 1.5 to 2 plus gbps. I use it to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime without problems.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Really dont think its per line is it? Probably per plan? If it is per line count me in!

If per line then each phone that can be used as a mobile hotspot gets 10gb before going to 3G? So we would actually get 20gb on 2 phones, 10gb each? Please verify this. Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted

To all following this discussion on data and data rates.

You can read about VZ's data optimization policy here - Important Information About Verizon Wireless Broadband Internet Access Services | Verizon Wireless

As for speeds - VZ or any carrier won't specifically guarantee you speeds - they can't it's a "radio" after all that is subject to a lot of factors (e.g. antenna orientation, radio interference, atmospheric's, etc). Below is a summary (out of the link) copied below:

Based on our internal testing and testing commissioned from third-party vendors, Verizon Wireless expects customers will experience the following speeds:

• 4G LTE network: typical download speeds of 5 - 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 - 5 Mbps;
  • 3G Ev-DO network: typical download speeds of 600 Kbps - 1.4 Mbps and upload speeds of 500 - 800 Kbps for Ev-DO Rev. A devices (if you are using an Ev-DO Rev. 0 device, typical download speeds are 400 - 700 Kbps and upload speeds are 60 - 80 Kbps).

Now depending on your radio/cellphone device - you can get various flavors of 4G LTE that actually go to 300Mbps (theoretically) and 3G that goes from the sub 100 Kbps up to the 1.4 Mbps - again nothing is guaranteed here.

But what VZ and other carriers do implement is "throttling" and what is described above for "data optimization".

I define the "throttling" as an enforced slow-down that is permanent in the billing cycling.

• On the new Unlimited Data Plan - Mobile hotspots, Jetpacks, cellphone/tethers are all limited to 10GB before the network will force any further data flow at the "3G" data rates. I am supposing that this is hardwired into the network and will be enforced regardless of the "data optimization" algorithms. Meaning they won't let you back to 4G LTE data rates on these devices.

I define the "data optimization" as an on-going rate optimization that is dependent on the specific load to any given cell tower.

• On the new Unlimited Data Plan - all devices are subject to "data optimization" beyond the 22GB before the network will force your specific device to "slowdown" to allow the combined traffic on the network to proceed. This should be temporary meaning only while the network is in a congested state.
  • There can be times that you never get a "data optimized" connection in a given billing cycle even if you go beyond the 22GB threshold. This depends on the amount of data traffic to your specific cell towers.
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Prepper357 wrote:

Really dont think its per line is it? Probably per plan? If it is per line count me in!

If per line then each phone that can be used as a mobile hotspot gets 10gb before going to 3G? So we would actually get 20gb on 2 phones, 10gb each? Please verify this. Thanks

It is per line, 10GB each. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Wow!  So with 4 phones (lines I'm assuming?) in our house, we could conceivably use 10GB on each one for a total of 40GB hotspot without being slowed to 3G?  I find this really hard to believe, but really happy about it if it is indeed true!!!

0 Likes