Charged for International Calls I did not maker

Dv_k

Recently, over the last 3-4 weeks I kept getting several calls each day from Slovenia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Morrocco etc. I just ignored it and keep blocking, but they immediately call using another number from the same country. Today I get an alert from Verizon that there has been a International call for $250+ to one of those countries. I spent 2 hours on the phone with different people in Verizon, even the fraud department ... and they say it was from my phone. They offered to put me on a rate plan so the charges can be reduced, what a consolation :(( ... I've been Verizon for 15 years and told them to check if I've ever made an International call and this is ridiculous why do I need to pay for call I did not make. Only thing they claim is its the middle of the billing cycle so I can dispute at the end of the cylce ... don't understand the logic, if I didnt make the call why does it matter. They are not willing to listen so wanted to post it here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. Have you been recieving several calls each day from International numbers and been charged for calls you are sure you did not make? I will take this up the chain to get this resolved. My guess this is a type of new fraud where either my phone was cloned or they are able to access Verizon voicemail when they call me and hack the system.

Highlighted

Re: Charged for International Calls I did not maker

yrenno

I found a 62 minute call for $121 call to Croatia on my bill.  I called customer care (after waiting for 15 minutes to speak to someone) and they said this was fraud and transferred me to the fraud department.  The fraud department said they only deal with cloned calls and said I needed to talk to customer care (yay). I asked to be transferred so I didn't have to wait for another 15 minutes in the queue.  She put me in the queue.  After another 15 minutes I spoke to someone who said he'd investigate. After waiting several minutes while he investigated .. he informed me that this call WAS in fact made from my phone. I explained once again that I don't know anyone in Croatia .. my phone was not in use during that time and it IS a fraudulant charge.  He apologized but explained, after his research, that it was undisputably made from my phone and all he could do was cut the charge in half.  I'm convinced there's 2nd level hacking going on that Verizon is not addressing.  I'm not finished fighting this.

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We take fraud very seriously at Verizon and it's concerning to hear this, yrenno. Sorry to hear that you don't feel like you got the help you needed. We're happy to help get to the bottom of this. It sounds like it was determined that network fraud did not take place. We can find very clear indications of this, however, I want to make sure I best understand what is going on. Has your phone shown any other evidence that it was compromised? Are you fully up to date on the operating system software and app software? Was your phone out of your possession at any time around the time that the call took place?

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

akorfhage

I had this problem too. Luckily it was only a 2 minute call but still an $8 charge. They reversed it for me but now im very concerned about it happening in the future. There is definitely something going on that Verizon is not addressing. 

Highlighted

Re: Charged for International Calls I did not make

VALERIEHSD

Same problem, same results---no help to a customer of 20 plus years

Highlighted

VALERIEHSD

Verizon-- we have the same issue, call dated 11/12/19 to an Internatioanl number that was NEVER made.  Fraud Dept, said it wasnt fraud, Customer Service said the call was made.  THE CALL WAS NOT MADE!  We have been Verizon Customers for 20+ years, and on the rare occassion that an international call is made, we pay the cost. A look at our phone call history and bill payments will show this, why would we dispute one call??  Why wouldn't Verizon siide with a loyal custmer and not waive the $105.47 charge?  Surely keeping a loyal customer is more important than this one time dispute--this is crazy!  How do we further dipsute the charge???

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We are cocnerned to hear that you are being billed for an international call that you did not make. We value your business as a custoemr for over 20 years, and we will be glad to address any concerns that you hav in mind regarding this charge. To confirm, who was using your device during this time?DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ringoyankee

I am dealing with a similar incident . I have had Verizon since 1993.. think it was called Atlantic bell . Anyway, there was an 89 plus taxes and sucharges on my bill . Said I called Sri Lanka in the middle of the night . I never even heard of the country nor am I up making calls at 2 am . No one has access to my phone . Hours and hours of defending myself and being accused of lying left me physically sick today . Almost all resolved but have to call again tomorrow as I noticed an still being charged 16 extra dollars . It's not much but wrong . I was treated horrible by the first call I spoke to . Also on hold a very long time and even got cut off . My blood iressure was 190/100 when I was done . How do you treat people like this???? How will I be protected in the future???? B

Highlighted

Did you get resolution on this? I just got hit for a $60 charge for a call to Ireland I didn't make. Customer care said the same thing to me, the call was legit and made from my phone. It was not!!

Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

We understand the frustration of a charge you are not aware of on your bill. We are happy to assist in any way possible. Did any one else possibly have access to your device?

JoshuaC_VZW