Highlighted

Certified like new replacement??

I have a G4 that's around 6 months old. I take immaculate care of my phone seeing as I like to keep it looking brand new. All of a sudden on Friday it decided it was going to shut off and not go past the red Verizon loading screen. I took it to my local store and they were going to send out a replacement. I would assume it was going to be new, especially since they said it was a defect they've seen before and not damage or something. But no, it's going to be a certified pre owned. Those things are a nightmare in general.

Why isn't it a new one? Why can't I give them my phone and have them repair it and give it back? I don't want someones old phone they did the minimum work to, just to throw it back out to someone else. I'm paying a lot of money for this phone and the reality of it is that because of a manufacturer defect I'll most likely receive a phone that's in worse condition. Chances are I'll get a copy/paste message about how they go through the 100 point inspection, which is irrelevant to the situation. I can understand having a phone that's a year or so old and if I accidentally broke something on it and getting a used phone, but for one I've had about 6 months and kept in perfect shape that's just not cool.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: Certified like new replacement??

When used phones such as yours experience defects and need to be replaced the manufacturer warranty would replace it with a used device. If it was new (less than 14 days from purchase) then it would be replaced with a new device. Many of the certified like new replacements can end up actually being newer than your 6 month old device though, for example when a customer returns or exchanges their device if they change their mind on the purchase those phones can't be re-sold as new, and are used as warranty replacements after they go thru that check that you mentioned in your post.

Alternatively, you can do what you're requesting, if you call Samsung they can have you send them your phone, they'll will attempt to service/repair it, and send it back to you. This generally takes a couple weeks so most people opt for the carrier replacement option, especially since Verizon doesn't charge extra for it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

When used phones such as yours experience defects and need to be replaced the manufacturer warranty would replace it with a used device. If it was new (less than 14 days from purchase) then it would be replaced with a new device. Many of the certified like new replacements can end up actually being newer than your 6 month old device though, for example when a customer returns or exchanges their device if they change their mind on the purchase those phones can't be re-sold as new, and are used as warranty replacements after they go thru that check that you mentioned in your post.

Alternatively, you can do what you're requesting, if you call Samsung they can have you send them your phone, they'll will attempt to service/repair it, and send it back to you. This generally takes a couple weeks so most people opt for the carrier replacement option, especially since Verizon doesn't charge extra for it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Does Verizon offer some sort of loaner phone if I opt to go the route of sending my phone in? Not even mentioning the fact that I have pictures and documents that will be lost if I just agree to the certified phone.

And, does the replacement come with a battery? I have a good feeling the battery is the problem on my phone. The Verizon store I went to didn't pop one in or anything to try it out and diagnose it, just said what was wrong and they ordered one and sent me on my way. If I don't even get a battery and that's the problem, a replacement is irrelevant anyways.

0 Likes
Highlighted

There isn't a loaner phone program, usually people tend to temporarily activate an older device laying around or from a friend/family member.

You can back up all your files/media from your device and then sync them to the new one, and then erase them from the old device if you do decide to send it back.

A replacement phone itself doesn't come with a battery but one can be added separately to the order when that is the suspected problem. (And those are new).  If it's just a battery issue (like draining, heating up or swelling) getting just that replaced free under warranty may be easier. Verizon stores don't have the ability to officially test batteries, if they have a compatable used battery they can do general troubleshooting, seeing if a phone turns on if it wasn't and things like that, but they're not popular for batteries because they sell them at a high margin ($30-$40, vs Amazon/eBay $6-$12) so the demand is low so they likely don't have any new batteries in store stock for that device, but they can ship them.

Personally I'd suggest presenting your issue to Samsung, just because they're more technically trained on their products as the manufacturer 'experts' since that's all they do. If you have a Best Buy store in your area that has a Samsung experience shop in it, they are staffed with Samsung employee(s) for 'expert' help with purchases, customer and technical services for their products from phones to TVs and everything (kind of similar to the Apple/Windows store/service model). I haven't been there myself, but I've read good things about them there, and I have received good service when calling them.

Highlighted

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned by G4 I meant the LG G4. It looks like a whole bunch have this problem and it almost looks like my data is as good as done. But I'd much rather send mine in for repairs or get a brand new one as opposed to their pre owned. Can Verizon activate a Nexus 5 from T-Mobile if I send my G4 off for repairs?

0 Likes
Highlighted

My bad, I read G4 and thought 'GS4'. LG can still help with the warranty, just not in a store environment.

You can activate the Nexus5 with your Verizon service by moving your SIM card from the G4 to the 5 since they both use the micro SIM size. (Unless your Nexus happens to be SIM locked to T-Mobile, in that case you can request they give you the unlock code first for it to work with a different carrier card).

Highlighted

Not a problem - I should have mentioned LG first. Called my local Verizon store and they told me that my Nexus 5 won't work because it's not a Verizon phone. Maybe I talked to someone whos not quite sure?

They assured me that the phone I receive will be close to new but I guess I'm just weird and would prefer to have the device I bought repaired. I just really need to figure out some sort of way to have a phone while mines away.

When the certified one arrives, could I activate that and use it temporarily while my G4 gets fixed over at LG? Just trying to explore my options, I wish they would just activate my Nexus 5.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Sr. Leader

Some great info from deloused

Your T-mobile Nexus 5 likely does not work on Verizon. It does not have the right LTE band (needs band 13). You can try to see if the CDMA radio will register by entering the MEID here:

Set Your Location

Let us know what you find out about the CDMA activation with the Nexus 5 on that web page. Everything I have heard though is it doesn't work.

Once you get the certified device, Verizon is going to expect the broken LG G4 back. You may be asking for confusion and financial pain trying to then keep the original G4.

Highlighted

All I would like to do at this point in time is send my phone to LG for repair. But apparently Verizon doesn't allow my prior phone to be connected, and they don't offer some sort of phone I can use in the time being.

Really disappointing, I just want to keep my phone and not have to worry about getting a different one in worse shape with the potential of having other issues (many many people have had nothing but bad things to say about these like new phones unfortunately). Wouldn't be a problem at all if I could just use my old Nexus while mines being worked on but of course it won't work with Verizon and I have no other options.

If I end up having to settle on this replacement, I would obviously lose my data. Can I trust that my data will be wiped for good if I send it back in? I've always kept my old phones instead of trading them in for that reason alone. Can always do a factory wipe but does it truly get rid of stuff?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Certified as new is somebody’s else’s cell problems and the cel, phones keep making the rounds until you get lucky, if you get lucky with a workable phone.

I returned my $500+ MotoZ4 because of lens problems.  I received a “certified” cell and after four days I have to return it because it doesn’t hold a charge and it’s so hot that I can feel the heat on the outside of the case it’s in.  The screen goes blank and touching the screen doesn’t bring the phone back.

don’t care who makes the phone I’ve wasted four hours in the last week thanks to not one but two bad cell phones.  Fingers crossed that the third time/phone is the charm.

0 Likes