Cell data usage while connected to WiFi

JOHBUR55

After being alerted that I had 10% of my cell data remaining, I looked into data usage across my 4 wireless lines.  I determined that a large amount of cell data (1 Gig) was used at 3:48 am, while the phone was connected to WiFi, while no one was using the phone.  I then checked the cell data logs and found that my ESPN app has used 1.7 Gig of data.  That must be the culprit.  So, I've turned off cell data access for ESPN which practically renders the app useless.  I wonder if anyone else has had this kind of problem or whether ESPN / Verizon might have any insight into this issue.  Note that Verizon added 1 Gig to my account (normally $15) and covered the charge for me which was much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Cell data usage while connected to WiFi

Community Manager
Community Manager

JOHBUR55,

Being able to clearly manage your data and view the usage is something that we can all relate to and we want to make sure everything is correct. The data totals are always being updated throughout the day and night. The network will update your totals on the My Verizon account at random times. There are apps as you can see with ESPN that are set to update when the developers feel there may be the least customer interaction. So apps has this set during the day and some at night. So even though you are not physically on the device, if there is an app that is set to update or run on the network in the background it can cause the data to show usage during that time. Have you checked with the app to see if it has the option to run via Wi-Fi? 

CandiceH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

BBMA

I have this issue with one of our lines. I understand that apps update at various times. Even when setting the app to not use wireless data on the phone and being connected to a WiFi network, Verizon shows that the apps are consuming wireless data. What Verizon continuously fails to answer regarding this, is why is data usage being consumed when the phone is connected to a WiFi network?

Community Manager
Community Manager

I definitely want to help find answers, BBMA. I would be concerned with unexpected usage as well but I'm sure we'll be able to solve this mystery. What model phone do you see data usage occurring on while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network? Do you notice this usage occurs when on a specific Wi-Fi network or multiple connections? Is it a particular application you see the consumption happening with?

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

ANTMAR29

We have a similar issue.  The only data usage, which had now for two months had me going over my data - when I look at when my data is being used something is updated every 6 hours.  The time sometimes changes, but it is 10:14am, 4:14pm, 10:14pm, 4:14am .... for days.  Why is something updating on cellular, if I am at home sleeping and my phone is on WIFI?  How do I fix this issue? 

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

ANTMAR29,

We understand your concern about your data usage when you're at home connected to WiFi. We're here to help as much as possible. Please note that data usage is not updated immediately after use and can update at specific intervals as you've metioned with yours being 6 hours apart. That being said, the times shown is only in reference to when the usage updated on the network and do not indicate that the data was used at that exact moment. While we understand that seeing the usage at unexpected times is concerning, there isn't a way to change how and when the usage updates on the network. However, we do get that monitoring data usage is important. Are you reviewing the data sessions because you have a concern about how much data you're using?

ShawnteJ_VZW

amygeekgirl

I think I might be able to help. I don't know what devices you have but if you have an Android model, go into your settings Application Manager. Tap any application that's installed, then tap Mobile data. You will see two potential options that my be turned on "Allow unrestricted data usage" and "Allow background data usage." Both of these allow the app to use mobile data whenever to call home to the app manufacturer. You can turn them off for many apps - but not all.

I have no idea how to get there on an iPhone but perhaps this will help you track it down, if that's the platform. Hope this helps!

P.S. Depending on your model - you may also have a Data Saver option available to you under Settings - Data usage. Try turning that on and see if it helps!

0 Likes

CWSLWS

I am having the same problem with my phone showing data usage in the middle of the night when I am home and connected to wifi.  Verizon needs to address this!!!  They are telling me that my wifi connection is failing.  Seriously??? At regular intervals?? And phones are on two wifi services?

There is something fishy here.

0 Likes

Community Manager
Community Manager

CWSLWS, I know that knowing how your data is being used is important. I know as a consumer myself I would be concerned as well. When you are getting the updates that are reported, are they at the same time? What is the make and model of your phone? What are the times your phone is reporting the data? Please share more details about what's happening. I want to make sure we get everything addressed.

Jennifer_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes

CWSLWS

Okay, here goes.......

I got an alert that we were low on data for this month which starts on 7/16/18 and ends on 8/15/18 so I got curious at to how we had used our data.

My mother is on our account, she is homebound and I know exactly which days she is away from her home because I am her transportation.  I looked at her date usage first.

When she is home, she should always be connected to her internet provider and as I understand it, would not be using any data.  However, the bill shows that she uses a small amount every day and at regular intervals.

Here's what her usage for [remove], Iphone 7 shows:

8/13/18  6:37am

6:38pm

12:37am

12:38pm

This continues EVERY day like this all the way back to 7/16/18, (which I did not take the time to type all of these times).

Then I looked at the data usage for my phone, [remove]. Iphone 6.  I am in and out a lot using data away from my internet service, but there is a pattern with my data usage too.

8/12/18  6:06am

6:09pm

12:09am

12:09pm

This pattern continues like this on my data usage as well.

Then I looked at the data usage for the third phone, [remove], Iphone 6. There aren't as many pattern repeats on this phone but there are some as you look further at the month's bill.

8/12/18 2:51am

2:51pm

8/11/18 2:52am

2:52pm

8/9/19  3:45am

3:44pm

Like I said, the pattern doesn't continue every day with this phone but as  you look further at the bill dates, there are a few patterns.

I have called Verizon about this and I was told that my internet service must be going in and out.  That many times? And every day?  The two Iphone 6 phones are on the same provider but the Iphone 7 is on a different provider, so I don't see that this is the reason why data is being used when the phones are clearly supposed to be connected to wifi and not using Verizon data.

The times the data is charged during the night I know we were not using any of the phones at those times.  I was told that data can be posted later after the data usage.  Maybe so, but that many times and that often?

As to updates, I have my phone set to do updates manually and again, would something be updating that many times a month?

I have found none of the reasons for these repeat data usages to be reasonable explanations.  I am thinking that data usage postings must have a flaw.  Sure seems that way to me.

Please respond.

Count your blessings,

Linda [remove]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes