Cancelling line on family plan before contract end

EMISTR6

I was on a family plan with my sister and her husband. June 2016 she temporarily turned my line off. The next day I went into a Verizon store to create my own plan and account and to remove myself from their plan. My sister wouldn't release my number so I got a new one. Now she is telling me that it cost $700 dollars for her to cancel my line before the contract was over. How valid is that claim? She has been on my case since then to pay her back but that amount doesn't make any sense to me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes

Re: Cancelling line on family plan before contract end

tikibar1
Sr. Leader

From Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350, which will decline by $10 per month upon completion of months 7–17, $20 per month upon completion of months 18–22, $60 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of the contract term. For other contract terms entered into on or after November 14, 2014, your early termination fee will be $175, which will decline by $5 per month upon completion of months 7–17, $10 per month upon completion of months 18–22, $30 upon completion of month 23 and will be $0 upon completion of your contract term. If you cancel service, you may have to immediately pay off the remaining balance on any device agreement. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether it charges a separate termination fee.

0 Likes

Ann154
Expert

She is the one financially responsible for the line and account. Why did she suspend your line? Were you paying your portion of the bill per your agreement with her? The dollar amount is more than an Early Termination Fee, but it could be the remaining balance of device payment agreement for the phone purchased on that line. Do you have that phone?

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

Dang, ninjas sneaked in while I was typing. Smiley Happy

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Community Manager
Community Manager

EMISTR6,

We are sorry to hear about the difficulty with family. When you cancel a line before the contract is up or before a device payment agreement is completed, it will charge either the fee or the reminder of the device balance on the next bill statement. Keep in mind that only the account owner is financially responsible for their bill, even if you are an account manager. 

JosephT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes