Highlighted

Can you activate Safety Mode early to save on data?

brownt21390

Let's say I have 3 out of 5 GB of data left, and it's only a week into the billing cycle. I must be using a lot of data! And my usage doesn't feel completely out of habit. So yes, maybe I should make a change in plan, etc., but my question is regarding the function of Safety Mode.

If I turn Safety Mode on now, will it still continue to use data out of my remaining 3 GB pool, just at slower speed; or does it now lower your speed and my pool of data will remain, unused, until Safety Mode is turned off?

I hope it's the latter - this seems like a great function to be able to prevent high data usages when speed isn't necessarily a priority. But if it were to still eat away at the remaining pool of data, then I suppose there's no point of turning it on until that data has been completely used up.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: Can you activate Safety Mode early to save on data?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

Turn it on, and leave it on all the time.  It will slow your data once you hit your plan limit.  I enabled mine months ago, and I do not turn it off.  I haven't yet reached my full plan allowance, and I have not seen any slowing.

0 Likes

brownt21390

So in your case, you've never reached to the 0/X GB on your data, and saying that you've never noticed any slowing of speed?

I remember when getting my plan, the Verizon rep explained a little about Safety Mode that you would see data speeds slow, sometimes you wouldn't - it just depended on how high of traffic your area is when it comes to data usage.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ann154
Expert

I can see that happening on the new Verizon Unlimited Plan, but not on the tiered data plans before the data allowance is used.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

brownt21390 wrote:

So in your case, you've never reached to the 0/X GB on your data, and saying that you've never noticed any slowing of speed? No I haven't seen any slowing.  Then again, I'm on wifi at home most of the time anyway...

I remember when getting my plan, the Verizon rep explained a little about Safety Mode that you would see data speeds slow, sometimes you wouldn't - it just depended on how high of traffic your area is when it comes to data usage. That sounds more like the data prioritization that happens on the Unlimited plan.  Safety Mode is an auto slowdown that allows you to use data without overage charges, but at very reduced speeds.

0 Likes