core hold outs still around....Make sure you only DEAL W/CORP.STORE's and

fight for what you want. The more I talk to others, the phone co.'s is like

insurance Co. turn down 1,2 maybe even 3 times before they give up the real

deals out there. VZ is the top dog when it comes to coverage etc. But if

your not a traveler, and don't mind 2nd best...its a buyers market..GL

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: New $45 Single Line Plan

A phone is a phone? That hasn't been true for decades now. I use data on my "phone"  all the time. I hardly use my "phone"  as a phone anymore.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ha ha...decades =20yrs....they did not have DATA phones then, just maybe

more like <10 (?)yrs ago(<= less than)....what could be so important unless

used for biz that would not better be done on other larger devices, I'll

bet you would be in convulsions if you had to call a person on a home

phone. I bet you were not born when I got my first cell phone ha ha and

60/40 your mom or dad pays for it!.....this was more about prices/plans

anyway. I would much rather get my data on a way bigger screen, and I don't

care if or what everyone is doing every 10min...I still TALK to people on

my phone...anymore info read the other post I made..Peace Out /BOOMERS RULE

still

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

VZcamel, What works for you, doesn't always work for everyone else. While I normally only use my cell phone to make actual voice calls, most people I deal with now converse primarily via text/video/email rather than voice to voice calls. Plus more and more there are times when out and about where I either don't have, or don't want to lug around, a laptop or my tablet or when I don't have WiFi access, and I want to check something (like product reviews or alternative pricing) online or to send/receive email.

Plans like these new one's from Verizon allow basic phone dinosaurs like myself to get our foot in the smartphone door for very little additional up front and back end costs.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

bennor3814,

I agree, Verizon is likely banking on new smartphone users getting hooked

and feeling the need for more data, but my family has four smartphones on

1GB of data so we are atypical (maybe). We do text/picture message but data

required for that is not counted against our allotment. We have no

intention of increasing our data, in fact we could like go with less data

and still get by.

We basically use our phones as though they are basic phones. When we get on

wifi, however, we use a lot of the apps (ie we consume tons of wifi data!).

So anyway if the new plan gets you a cool phone then I say go for it! You

can own a smart phone without the need for a lot if data! And you will have

several key apps that will allow you to do many things on the go without

having to lug around a lap top.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager

ponyruns, it's our goal to ensure that we provide you with a plan that best fits your wireless needs. The Share Everything plan accomodates single lines too. Click http://vz.to/W24dla for more details regarding our Share Everything plans.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Highlighted

Ha ha...oh yes, that day will come. And same here in my house/fam-plan. If

were out shopp'n & I just question something about product info & my oldest

chimes in b4 I can engage a sales-person. Rattles off some app "...*they

say*..." etc. etc. So yea man I totally agree w/ya. Funny will be when he

turns 25 (next year) or if I get the urge sooner for that EXPERIENCE of

lay'n down my flip phone ...I am taking his number back! I switched

#'s with him sometime ago some reason (he used my upgrade) and he got Smart

Phone w/data b4 data was cool! So lol, he will lose his *"grandfathered

unlimited data"* LMButt-Off ...back to papa he he X^D...and I also am in

the market & other $ things daily...and am* maybe a-bit over paranoid* *about

security n **hackers...if it's possible to be over zealous about

cyber-security...* In fact for me to interact like this, is break'n my

rules...& just an fyi, the other 3 in my fam-plan have 2G then $10 a G

over..ok, GL! VZ-Boomer 8^)

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Some comments, in no particular order, on this new $45 plan after signing up for it earlier today:

• There is no requirement that you get the international texting/messaging option that some of the ads mention.
  • This plan is open to current users in addition to new users.
  • For a limited time apparently the $30 phone upgrade fee was waived.
  • There was much confusion on various phone pricing between what I saw online at the Verizon website, and what the salesman thought the pricing was, and store displays indicated. More than once the salesman had to refer to some kind of a print out to verify the in-store pricing.
  • Since I was in the middle of the billing cycle the salesman suggested that I have the plan upgrade backdated to the beginning of the billing cycle to get the full 250MB data, doing so meant that my next bill will have an additional $5 over the new price of $45. If he didn't backdate the plan upgrade he claimed the data rate would have been prorated and so would have the increased plan cost (basically half the data rate and half the $5 increased plan cost). By backdating I get to use 250MB for the rest of the month rather than 150MB or so.
  • Received a credit for turning in my old basic phone when I upgraded to the new smartphone. Since the phone I upgraded to was free the credit was applied to the accessory pack (car charger, screen protector, case) that was offered.
  • Salesman wiped my old phone after setting up the new phone. I reviewed the old phone after he reset it to ensure contacts, pictures, etc were deleted (and they were). Also made sure to remove and keep the memory card from my old phone before he took the old phone for trade in.
  • The new phone (Droid Mini) updated it self twice. First to Android 4.2.2, then to Android 4.4. First update happened in the Verizon store over the data network as the saleman activated the phone. The second update took place when I got home over my WiFi network.
  • After the initial phone update in the store I immediately turned off the mobile data feature as I experimented with the phone.  For the minute or two the new phone was on, it used roughly 690K of the data rate.
  • No data rate was used during the initial phone OS update, salesman checked the data usage online through his system after I asked if such update counts against the data rate. Also no data rate was used when the salesman performed the MyBackup to transfer the contacts from the old phone to the new phone.
  • I did not have to setup Gmail or any other email accounts after the salesman activated the phone. Those can be updated at a later time.
  • The phone had about a 40% charge when activated.
  • If I didn't buy the accessory pack I wouldn't have had to pay anything when upgrading both the phone and the voice/text/data plan.
  • The plan pricing remains the same once the plan ends.
  • The ETF is prorated and the sales receipt indicated it could be as high as $350.
  • There is no charge to change between plans if you find you will use more than 250MB. There is however a $30 charge (unless its waived) to upgrade your phone if you do so when switching between plans.
  • As the ad for this plan indicates once you go above 250MB you get charged $15 per each additional 250MB block.
  • Salesman indicated that any problems with the phone within a 14 day period they will exchange it for the same model phone. If one wanted to change to a different phone then there would be a $35 fee assessed.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Congrats on your new phone! Just be aware if you do start picture/video

messaging you will need mobile data enabled but those messages will not

count toward your data allotment. Also you can set any apps you might use

to only operate over wifi.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Yes the MMS messaging and turning on/off the mobile data was one of the first things I made sure to ask the salesman once I settled on an Android phone. Also asked about limiting individual app's cellular data usage via the "restrict background data" option as well. The SMS messaging works independent of the cellular data which is good.

0 Likes