Highlighted

Re: New $45 Single Line Plan

Novice

My whole beef with the new single line plan is that a smartphone user on the $60 dollar plan gets unlimited talk & text and 1GB of data.  So in essence, when we compare that to the share everything plans, that single user is getting his/her 1 GB of Data for $20 where a family on the share everything plan pays $50 for the same amount of data.  If 1 GB of data is $20 for one user then it should be $20 for all users without requiring a plan change.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

ponyruns wrote:

My whole beef with the new single line plan is that a smartphone user on the $60 dollar plan gets unlimited talk & text and 1GB of data.  So in essence, when we compare that to the share everything plans, that single user is getting his/her 1 GB of Data for $20 where a family on the share everything plan pays $50 for the same amount of data.  If 1 GB of data is $20 for one user then it should be $20 for all users without requiring a plan change.

These single line plans are for a limited and it's there to try to get people to switch form old Nationwide pricing and those using basic phones switch to Share Everything plans. Single lines and basic phones are the hardest to get to do that. Just to be factual the $50 for 1 GB also includes unlimited texting and unlimited minutes. Unlimited texting on a family plan on Nationwide is $30 for a single lines it's $20. So there's $10 difference right there.

All that being said if they'd knock the smartphone line fee down to $30 and all data plans 500 MB and over by $10 they go along way to getting people to get off their backs about pricing.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

you bring up some valid points.  However, if the goal is to get more people on a share everything plan then why introduce a single line option (limited or otherwise) that would cost less for a family of 2-4 individuals to have 4 single lines on an account than to tie them together on a share everything plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Also like the Loyalty plans, these plans have no support for tethering/Mobile Hot Spot. And no way to add it as a feature either.  But at least  they did  give me the  $45 plan without hassle or argument.

0 Likes
Highlighted

ponyruns wrote:

you bring up some valid points.  However, if the goal is to get more people on a share everything plan then why introduce a single line option (limited or otherwise) that would cost less for a family of 2-4 individuals to have 4 single lines on an account than to tie them together on a share everything plan.

They might only allow one of these on  a single account so as not to cannibalize the Mobile Share Plans.    

0 Likes
Highlighted

Here is my question. I am part-way through a contract with Verizon for my smartphone (my 2 years is up in October). I saw about single line plans on their Web site yesterday called and signed up. In return I had my contract extended a year from my sign up date, while will be about four months past when my original contract was to expire.

My question is, is my new rate still going to be in effect after that one-year period? I assume it is and isn't a temporary thing like satellite TV does after the first year.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

re7863

I do not believe the cost of your plan will increase at the end of your contract, unless of course you opt into a new more expensive plan.  But you should call the customer service line to confirm with someone who can view the terms of that particular plan. But I would be very surprised if that happened because I do not ever recall that cell phone plans have ever had promotional pricing that was not fixed until you decide to change your calling plan.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Not applicable

ponyruns wrote:

Might cost less but if the other 3 people can't pass a credit check then they aren't going to have their own single line account. Also if they offered this to multiple line plans but only on new customers they would be riots form current customers. And if they offered it to all customers well that's billions in profit Verizon is losing. Verizon owes Vodaphone $59 billion in cash. Verizon made about $12 bil in profit last year just for reference. Until they pay that off I wouldn't expect Verizon to be lowering pricing anytime soon.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Funny...$45, about the price of there common stock lol.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Novice

Its called baby steps. There are a select number of Verizon Wireless customers who do not have families and for whom the family share plan would be overkill and too expensive for their needs. More than a few of these folks are still on the limited calling minutes Nationwide individual plan.

I'm one of those people. I don't have a smartphone. Don't use data on my current four year old basic phone, don't use texting either and my 450 minute Nationwide individual plan runs $40 before all the stupid little taxes and fees (another $5 or so) are tacked on. For those Verizon Wireless customers like me, this new $45 plan is an attractive option since we gain a new smartphone (possibly for free depending on the smartphone we choose), unlimited calling and texting and some data for roughly $6 to $7 more a month after taxes and fees. Here are some current numbers on how much it would cost on my current plan to add texting and data (without even bumping up from my basic phone).

1000 messages @ $10 per month

75 MB data @ $10 a month

So without changing plans it would cost me $60 a month for far less minutes/text/data.

If I were to bump up to a similar 250MB data plan on Share Everything plan it would cost me $50 before taxes/fees anyhow.

Either way I'd be saving money by jumping to this $45 plan if I want to do data and texting.

Verizon knows that once they move us basic phone users who don't do lots of texting or use data up to a data plan we'll be hooked on wanting to use more data which means we'll eventually move up to a more costly plan with a higher data allowance. The time will come where there won't be any basic phone contract plans and since they did away with the unlimited plan for new contracts they know they can make more money via the data overages.

And if Verizon waives the stupid $30 phone upgrade fee which they apparently are doing for some, that's even better.

0 Likes