Highlighted

Can My Kids Leave My Plan Without Facing an ETF?

Lawboy41

I have 5 phone on my family plan and one, maybe two of my kids want to spit off and get their one plan with a different carrier. Can I cancel their service without penalty?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Highlighted

Re: I have 5 phones on my family plan. One, maybe two of my kids want to spit off and get their one plan with a differenct carrier. Can that be done without penalty?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

If they are on a contract or still owe on a device payment plan, then that would need to be paid before they could port their number to another carrier.  If they don't care about the number, then they can get their own plan and you will have that line to cancel or finish out the contracts/payments on.

If they do want to keep their phone number, DON'T cancel - they will go to their new carrier and request a port of their number.  Once that processes, it will automatically cancel their Verizon service and anything due (ETF, DPP balance) will be billed to your account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I have 5 phones on my family plan. One, maybe two of my kids want to spit off and get their one plan with a differenct carrier. Can that be done without penalty?

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader

If they are on a contract or still owe on a device payment plan, then that would need to be paid before they could port their number to another carrier.  If they don't care about the number, then they can get their own plan and you will have that line to cancel or finish out the contracts/payments on.

If they do want to keep their phone number, DON'T cancel - they will go to their new carrier and request a port of their number.  Once that processes, it will automatically cancel their Verizon service and anything due (ETF, DPP balance) will be billed to your account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted

Weth
Sr. Leader

Every time this happens, the kids port and the parent gets stuck with the ETF or paying off the cost of the phone.  There are lots of potential costs that become your responsibility legally unless you know the device payment status and contract status of each. 

0 Likes